My first 5K is a week-and-a-half away, and I have a tendency to start fast, slow, then speed up a bit at the end.

I am sure the race will permit it, but should I?

I see it as a useful tool, but I kind've feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I never use mine but I'm always consistent with my slow pace. If I were you, I'd use it.

My Garmin has become my watch now, even for races. I like that it records my splits automatically, I don't have to do anything.
I like seeng my pace too. Just a few glances down might help you either slow down or speed up.

good luck with the 5K!

Use it! And good luck. 8)

I find mine isn't very accurate for the current pace. I wouldn't race with it.

I don't race with it......sometimes there is a time delay as you 'round corners, lose the satellite, etc. I've found myself picking up the pace of a training run because it said I was going 8:30 and then I split the mile and it's 7:00.

Has this happened with anyone? I don't see how....because it's based on satellite........but I "swear that my readings are affected by wind". I've had readings of 5:00 pace and that is going into a strong headwind :umno: .....I wish.....but no way am I capable of doing that in an alot sprint.

I wouldn't wear it because it's just something else to distract you from the task at hand. A 5k isn't a long enough race to make good use of a device like that.

I have that same problem.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Experience is the only real way to overcome that. (And then you still have to get kind of lucky.) My suggestion would be to leave the watch and GPS behind and just listen to your body.
Focus on what your pace feels like, your breathing, etc. Remind yourself to check your form 100 times during the race. Is your head up, eyes looking at the person in front of you, jaw relaxed, shoulders relaxed, etc.
When you get really tired, take a deep clearing breath and just try to relax for 2 or 3 seconds. Then focus again.
The watch and GPS might freak you out more than they help you.

I just got my Garmin about a month and a half ago. I plan to use it for my 1/2 marathon this weekend. I like the oversized display and that it takes my splits automatically.

As PH said, I wouldn't trust the instantaneous pace readout it tends to be pretty erratic. You can set it to give you your current average pace for the lap - this is somewhat useful, but probably more than you want to concern yourself with on a race as short as 5k.

I think you can let gadgets get in the way of listening to your body. I have a friend who loves her Garmin but I think she runs too much 'by the machine' and not enough in tune with the warning signs her body was sending. I've seen her nearly pass out after a run because her Garmin 'told' her she needed to be quicker.
OK then..... :umno:

Most (if not all races) will let you wear it. It doesn't affect your sight or your hearing so you are safe in terms of getting run over by runaway freight trains.

Good Luck and try working on listening to your body.

I agree. "easy" running can differ day-to-day. I too find myself speeding up, because the garmin has me close to 8 minute pace and my average easy pace is 7:30, when in essence, it is the "stupidest" thing to speed up when it's "suppose" a easy recovery run.
Use the garmin for the info that it provides after you are done running.

If your a runner you dont use gadgets because it wont help you at all, if you cant run without a garmin then you have no confidence in yourself in running a race. I would say throw the instrument in the garbage and take a couple practice five k runs. Take a simple stopwatch and Aim for a time you would like to meet. Try to pace yourself to meet it on a practice run. You just cant rely on electronics. :x