Hello, everyone.

I'm 13 years old guy, and I'm a rising 8th grader. At my school, all students are required to run an mile every Friday. Your time in this mile is a big deal, fast runners are admired and not so fast runners are sometimes teased. Throughout 6th grade, and into the first part of 7th, I was pretty slow, running anywhere from 10:00 to 9:30. Although I was not fat at all and fairly athletic otherwise, I felt slow and out of shape, and my friends were all faster. So, I decided to join my school's cross country team.

A few months and A lot of work later, at the very last mile of the season, I ran a 6:31 mile. I was unbelievably proud of myself. My previous time had been 7:12, but that race I tried to follow a much faster friend. Throughout the race, I was amazed at how fast I was running and sure I would not be able to hold out until the end. However, I did, and managed to beat him in the sprint.

My reason for typing this is because this season I want to get even faster. The actual meets are a mile and a half, the time trials are a mile. Only the top 10 kids in the time trial run in the meets. Now, 6:31 would make the team at most other schools, but my school is very good. We have one every single meet we have been to in the last 6 years, boys and girls, we have won. The 10th fastest kid runs a mile in 5:54.

Today, I timed my mile and ran a 6:58. My question is, what can I do between now and the start of the season in 5 weeks? I know that's not very much time, but it's enough to improve. What can I do?

Thanks for reading and thanks for your answers!

Try a 3-mile run just to feel how bad it sucks, then you will know what pain REALLY feels like, and you will be able to push yourself harder knowing you haven't hit your max yet. Be sure to go fairly hard, but not too hard, on the 3.