Can you become obsessed with bettering your time on a particular route every time you run it.?

I am not sure if I am just running stronger so my times are getting better or if I am obsessed with running that much harder that everytime I run I feel like I need to give it more than the last time. On tuesday Morning as I was running my 18 mile loop course I felt like I was slacking on my different loops. Then when I got back to my desk and checked my watch I saw that I had really started running negative splits. Maybe it was because I can't do a good job of maintaining a pace on my own.

I am pretty sure that if I don't give myself a couple of easy runs then I might burn out before March 28.

There was one particular route that I ran, when I ran, that was my generic 4 mile course, it was 90% flat. I ran it like 2-3 times a week. I had certain intersections that I liked to be at a certain time at, and that always was a judge if I was going to fast or dogging it.

For a while, I was PRing everytime I ran it, then it became a game each time I ran it to better the prior run's.

In some sense I think its good, to be a little obsessive it keeps one humble.

my hubby in I had a route when we lived in GB....we called in the "clydesdale route" (it went past a horse farm). We both like to come in after a run and say "I pr'd clydesdale today"...it was a 6.7 miles and I would run it hard about every 3 weeks to gauge my 10k fitness. I miss that route :x

I'm a slave to the clock. I try to better my 4 and 6 mile routes at least once a week. (Not now that I haven't been running much, but in the past.) I'm a little more lenient with time on the long runs.

Being a slave to the stop watch is a trap that a lot of runners tumble into.
The idea is to TRAIN not STRAIN and if you go out day after day trying to beat your previous time for one of your set run's your are wasting any sharpness on the training track when it could be better used in some race you are setting yourself for.
THERE ARE NO GOLD MEDALS FOR TRAINING.
Sure, time trail yourself over your measured distance a couple of times a week but on other days, leave your watch at home and run easy or at least AYF.
Rest and recovery are just as important as hard days.

yours truly PHAR LAP. WORLD RECORD HOLDER.
for the 9.73621km. course uphill, into the wind.
with a three legged whippet.

Realistically it can only go on for a span of time. If you're on an upswing to the best shape of your life, heck, go for it. Having crested that summit, if my routes stay within a sundial notch of where they were a year ago, I'm a happy camper :?

I have certain course that I run all of the time to and run hard to test my fitness.

Boy, I sure was.

I did my best to avoid checking my watch every quarter mile. It didn't work. I solved it by leaving my watch behind about half the time.

I tried this in the Fall. I was running a fairly flat 5 mile loop around my neighborhood. I'm pretty certain this contributed to myself getting hurt because I was going fairly hard most times out. When I get back into running in April/May, I'm going to certainly have slow recovery days. :|

Definitely not. I'm at the opposite end. It's a rare day when I really push hard.