Alright folks. I'm brand new to this forum and this is my very first post. This is of dire importance to me.
I'm currently accepted for a position in federal law enforcement. I had to pass a physical exam to get to where I am and I have to pass it again.

The exam isn't really that hard except for one small portion. I have to be able to run 2 miles in 16:30 or less.

Here is some background information about myself.
I'm 27 years old 5'10" 220lbs not a lot of bodyfat. If I lost 10 lbs I'd have a 6 pack (working on losing those 10 right now) I'm pretty muscular.
I'm strong as an ox and I can sprint like the wind. I have a tendency to stay on the heavy side.

I stopped lifting weights and focus mostly on body weight exercises. But due to my build and body type. Muscle doesn't really come off of me.

I passed this test at one point in November of 2011. Shortly after that I severely sprained my ankle and had been nursing it for months. Then ran into some plantar fascitis. Which has cleared up considerably.

I received word October 23rd that I was accepted and have been training ever since.

Here's my training so far.
I've been running about 12 miles a week. 4 mile runs 3 times a week. Or sometimes a 5 mile run with a 2 mile fast run (As fast as I can manage)

Occasionally I do things like run at a faster pace. (like between telephone poles)
I run every other day and every fourth day I take a rest day and don't work out at all. On the days between runs I usually swim and hit the heavy bag or swim and do some stationary bike.

I haven't had an opportunity to test my speed out on a track or level 2 mile surface. But on days where the weather forces me indoors onto a treadmill I have been consistently able to hit a time of 15:15 - 15:30 at a 1 percent incline. (Which I have been told is analogous to running on land).

I don't know what that would translate to on a track. But what I do know is that I need to bring that time down even further.
I feel like for a guy my size I'm in decent shape. But I need to run even faster so that I have no worries at all leading up to the test.

This is my dream. It's the thing I've spent the last 10 years working toward. I'm highly educated, highly motivated, and would love to hear some training ideas from some quality runners.

I appreciate any help that is given and hope anyone who helps me realizes that they are helping a man accomplish a dream. The only thing I've ever wanted to do with my life.

By the way my diet is very solid and I have my running shoes sorted out properly. Thanks!

It seems like you're on track. Just go outside and time how fast you can run the two miles now, and try to improve from there. If you have a smart phone there are several of apps that can track your times and miles.