Can someone suggest some speed workouts geared toward a 5k? I've got one targeted in 5 weeks and I need a little boost. On a good day I'll average an 8:30 pace on a bad day more like 9:00. Any good track or treadmill workouts to help me out would be appreciated.
Thanks!

personally i'd say do some intervals, some hill sprints, jump rope, plyometrics. these will help ANY distance.

How much are you running per week now?

200s!!!

That's half a lap. Run goalpost to goalpost. Sprint hard for the first 200, then do a recovery jog for the last half of the lap.

Do a 1 mile warmup on the track, then do 4-6 of the intervals described above, then do a 1 mile easy cooldown.

If you did 6 intervals, that would be a 3.5 mile workout.

Time your laps. The goal is to get them as close to each other as possible. The next week, try to run them more even and to bring down your overall average by a second.

20-25 a week.

Should I add an interval each week or just stick with 4-6?

do 4-6 to get started. You can do a lot more. You could probably add 2 the following week. It all depends on how you respond after the first workout.

If there's one guy that knows his 5km, it's X. I'll second the 200s! Now hit the track and report back on how it goes :D

What I like for 5K's is track intervals twice a week. Specifically for a 5K, one day is a little longer repeats around 5K pace. A second day is sub race pace, more like mile race pace. You do want to build into doing fast intervals, so in 5 weeks you are a little limited in what you can safely squeeze in in that time frame.

For long intervals, I would do something like 4 to 6 x 800m at roughly 5K pace. Between each one you do 400m (1 lap) at a very easy jog/shuffle pace. To mix it up a bit, you might do 600's (1 1/2 laps) one week and 1000's (2 1/2 laps) another week.

The short intervals might be 200's, 300's, or 400's. As Runner X mentioned, 4-6 x 200m might be a good starting point since you will be new to this kind of running. Over the next few weeks I would add volume instead of trying to run them faster. You might end up with 12 x 200m, or perhaps 8 x 400m.

I would start with not only a fairly short set of intervals, but also keeping the pace a little conservative as well. This may still leave you a little sore as you are not used to running at that pace yet.

One other easy way to get a boost is to add 8 to 10 x 100m strides to the end of a run once or twice a week. These are so short that they don't make the run hard, but they do allow you to practice running fast.

I do 2 track workouts a week, as Coach Craig has mentioned.

I do 1600s or 800s on Tuesday and 400s or 200s on Thursday. I race on Saturday (if not, then I'll do a tempo run or some hill repeats).

Here are the average number of repeats I do. Each week, I try to either add additional repeats or try to bring down the average times:
3-4 x 1600s
6 x 800s
8-10 x 400s
12+ x 200s

Also, I'll throw in 2 or 3 200s at the end of my longer track workout if I don't feel I have enough gas left do a good 1600 or 800.