Hi! I the course of the conversation I have heard that a close relative of my fiancée suffers from tuberculosis of the spine. I couldn’t say much on that subject though since I know so little about medicine. I do know that tuberculosis is dangerous disease and that many people used to die from it in the past, but that is it. I would like to know more about the TBC of the spine because as I can see my fiancée cares a lot about this relative and I would like to be there for him, talk to him about it and maybe even advise him.

Hello! I know a bit about TBC of the spine. For example, I know that it is one of the oldest disease effecting humans, and that even an Egyptian mummy was found of a person who had died from this disease. At the beginning of the 20th century, TBC of the spine was one of the leading causes of mortality, as you too know. In some less developed countries it is a problem even today cause of the poor sanitation conditions and malnutrition. As far as medical facts go I know only that people that have spinal TBC usually have TBC of the lungs or kidneys first, because spinal TBC is almost always secondary. Maybe someone else knows more?

I do know somewhat more about medical facts, but I also didn’t know about the history, so thank you for sharing that. TBC of the spine is usually diagnosed in patients who feel a localized pain in the spine, which is accompanied by fever, anorexia and weight loss. The patients might also feel weakness in limbs and appear clumsy when walking. Radiographs are the first line of investigations to confirm or deject a clinical diagnosis of tuberculosis of the spine. Also CT or MR scanning are used in both diagnosis and treatment. Doctors nowadays usually recommend operation as the best form of treatment.