Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you happen to know anything about this disease called a Buerger's disease? My little brother picked this term from his school, he came home crying saying how his schoolmate has this disease and how now he is going to have it as well.

I know that this isn't likely to happen but my brother is still young and he doesn't understand how things work. Anyway, since I don't know much about this Buerger's disease, I'd like you to tell me more. I'm interested to know what can cause it and what can one do in order to prevent it?

Hello Health n joy,

That's just how kids are, they think everything is dangerous and can affect them but later you can't make them go to the doctor.

Anyway, the exact cause of Buerger's disease is unknown. While tobacco use clearly plays a role in the development of Buerger's disease, it is not clear how it does so. 

Experts think that some people might have a genetic predisposition to this disease. It is also possible that the disease is caused by an autoimmune response in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. And there is no way that this disease can pass from one person to another.

Hey guys,

Well, since there are no known causes of Buerger's disease Health n joy, you can't really do anything to prevent it. However, since it is known that smoking plays a role in its development even though it isn't known how, a person can try to prevent it by quitting smoking and by avoiding secondhand smoke. 

There is also no treatment for this. There is only this procedure called sympathectomy where the nerves are cut to eliminate pain. Avoiding cold weather, quitting smoking and improving your circulation is also considered to be a way of treating this disease. And I agree that there is no way that your little brother has it.

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your replies, Adria and Stradivarius. I'm actually aware that there is no way that my brother could get this Buerger's disease from his friend, I know how things are but thanks for clearing that out anyway.

So there is no known cause for this disease, that's strange. So what does it exactly do to people who have it, you mentioned something about cutting affected nerves to eliminate the pain Stradivarius, what is that all about? Is it a life threatening disease? It would be really bad if it is since there is no treatment for it.

Hello everyone.

Buerger’s disease is a very rare disease of the arteries and veins in patient’s arms or legs. In this disease, your blood vessels become very inflamed and they can become blocked with blood clots.

The exact cause of this disease is still unknown so I believe that no one can’t tell you about this exactly. Doctors believe that some people may have genetic predisposition to the disease but it is really hard to say about this a lot of things.

I am sure that no one of the doctors will tell you that they do know the cause.

But they can help you to learn some tips that can help in prevention.  

The cause is unknown still, but you can try to recognize symptoms and that is just one way to start with the treatment. If you feel pain in your hands, feet or legs or even arms, that come and go – that is just one sign. Open sores on your toes and fingers, inflamed veins and pale toes are also a symptoms. I am not even sure that you can prevent it, but I know that you can prevent the worsening of your symptoms and this disease. There is only ONE way – stop smoking or stay away from people who smoke. Avoid tobacco in any form because it can decrease the risk of developing Buerger’s disease.

Hello. I forgot to tell you more about this.  Buerger's disease is actually a chronic disease that is characterized by segmental inflammation and thrombosis of the small or medium –sized arteries and of course, veins of both the peripheral upper and lower limbs. It is very important to discover the first symptoms on time. Very early symptoms of this disease usually include claudication in the feet or your hands, and also you can feel the pain in some other areas. Maybe you won’t be in big pain but later you will feel that something is wrong with you and those pains can become very intense.

Hello. There are a few ways to prevent it. I know how I prevented it, because I am sure that this helped me. I quitted using tobacco in any form. I started to avoid local pubs where people are smoking, I didn’t want to let anyone in my house who wants to smoke. So, to prevent this disease it is very important to not use tobacco. I know that quitting smoking can be very hard, I know because I was in this situation as well but like most of the people who do smoke, you have probably tried to quit before. Trust me, when it comes to your health it is very important to know that it is never too late.