Hi, I am a thirty seven years old woman. It did not occur to me that a problem that I have has a medical background. I have a raynaud's disease. Whenever I get in contact with something cold my fingers go numb and even turn white. A friend told me that my work can affect it to. What are the occupation's effects on raynaud incidence?

Hi, Raynaud's disease is a blood circulation related problem. It causes the dilation of blood vessels mostly the ones on the extremities. Because of this, the blood cannot get to parts of the body that are affected. As a result you experience symptoms that you have described-numbness and discoloration. Raynaud's disease symptoms appear when exposed to cold conditions or stressful situations. Therefore, since you have this condition, it is important to be aware of the influence your occupation has on it. Occupation's effects on Raynaud's incidence can be severe and are associated with Raynaud's phenomenon-secondary Raynaud. These occupations include jobs that involve vibrating (drilling), contact with vinyl-chloride and, of course, jobs that are include exposure to cold.