Hello everyone. I was talking with one friend of mine. Her maid of honor was diagnosed with Buerger's Disease and she is now using some medications. I am not sure, but they are regular way of the treatment. We were talking about it and I told her that we do talk a lot about Buerger's Disease here, at this site, but that I still don't get it how doctors can diagnose this disease. She told me that this is very hard to diagnose and that there are so little treatment options for it. Is this true? How can doctors diagnose Buerger's Disease and what are treatment options?

Hello Aurora. I will try to answer on your question. While no tests can confirm actually  whether you have Buerger's disease, your doctor can order some tests to rule out other more common conditions or confirm suspicion of Buerger's disease brought on by your signs and symptoms. One of the most common tests are blood tests. They usually do those blood tests to look for some certain substances that can rule out other conditions that may cause similar signs and symptoms. Those blood tests can help rule out scleroderma, lupus, blood-clotting disorders and diabetes, along with other diseases and conditions. They are pretty good.

Hello everyone. I am diagnosed with Buerger's Disease and I can tell you that it was very hard to find out that I am having problems with it. My doctor recommended me to do an angiogram. According to him, angiogram helps to see the condition of your arteries. An angiogram can be done non-invasively with the use of CT or MRI scans. Don’t be surprised if you doctor orders angiograms of both your arms and your legs. He can do that even if you don't have signs and symptoms of Buerger's disease in all of your limbs. Just follow his instructions.

Hello there.

Look, as you already probably know Buerger's disease is also known as thromboangiitis obliterans. This is a  rare disorder that usually affects young or middle - aged male who smoke cigarettes. It is characterized by narrowing or blockage of the veins and arteries of the extremities. It usually results with reducing blood flow to these areas. Now about the treatment, there are several type but some of them are first doctor’s choice. The treatment of Buerger's disease is symptomatic and supportive. Symptoms usually improve if affected individuals stop smoking. That is the first way – stop smoking. If the case is more severe, surgery is needed.

Hello there. First time I have heard about Buerger's Disease when I was 17 years old. My grandmother was diagnosed with it and in that time I didn't knew nothing about it. I believe that in this time it was very hard to find the proper treatment. A few years ago, I was not feeling that good so I went to see my doctor. He is my friend as well. He did some tests and guess what - he told me that I have Buerger's Disease, just like my grandmother. Luckily, I found out that I have this disease on time, so the only treatment option that he offered me were with the medications.

It is essential that people who are diagnosed with Buerger's Disease STOP smoking completely and immediately. That is the number one in the treatment. If you continue to smoke or use of other forms of tobacco, even in the very small amounts, this increases the risk of losing fingers, toes or limbs due to necessary amputation. So, now you understand that is very important to stop smoking. Although there is evidence of inflammation inside the vessels and within the blood clots this differs from other types of vasculitis were the inflammation is in the blood vessel wall. Anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant treatments have not been shown to be effective in Buerger's Disease. Other treatments such as iloprost can also be very helpful.