what happens if you get a positive result

If you have a positive PPD skin test, it means you have been exposed to a person who has tuberculosis and you are now infected with the bacteria that causes the disease.

After you have a positive PPD skin test, you must have a chest x-ray and a physical exam to find it whether have active disease or are contagious (able to spread the disease).

It usually takes only a few days to tell whether you're contagious. Most people with a positive skin test aren't contagious.

To be sure that you remain healthy, your doctor may recommend that you take medicine for 6 months to kill the tuberculosis infection. If you don't take the medicine, the bacteria will remain in your lungs, and you will always be in danger of getting active tuberculosis.

Thank you so much. I just recently had the test and i had a bump on my arm, which now I have to deal with, but wasn't sure what I had to do. This information helps. I just need a chest x-ray and take some medicine for the next 6 months.