I want to improve my speed and endurance. There are some techniques based on Heart Rate. I heard that this is your limiting factor. Is it true? Depending on a type of training there is an aerobic threshold, anaerobic threshold and maximal heart rate. Is there a way to change Max Heart Rate?

The usual formula is 220 - your age. So if you are 35, your maximal heart rate would be 220 – 35 = 185 beats per minute. However, I suggest you visit a cardiologist and let him check your heart and determine its condition. He will help you to reach the accurate and safe figure regarding your maximal heart rate. Some people will tell you that you cannot change your heart rate max and that it is inevitable that the number goes down as we age. However this is not true. High quality training and healthy lifestyle can move the numbers up in spite of your age. I said high quality, not high volume training…training smart means training hard enough to bring about positive effects yet not too much to over train. It also means giving your body enough time and nutrients to rest and recuperate.