When I was talking to a fellow runner in the park, he told me that he used a heart rate monitor. Now I’m wondering whether that is supposed to be used or not. I don’t have any kind of health problems but sometimes when I get tired my heart starts beating very fast. Do I really need that device?

Well, it depends. Some people like to monitor their heart rate all the time. It’s not used only when you have health problems, but in order to establish how your heart reacts on effort. You probably know about that exercising zones and in order to know whether your heart reacts normally to certain level of exercising, you need to keep track of heart beat. First, you should establish how your heart beats when you’re resting and then you can establish the other zones. I carry the heart rate monitor all the time, as well as numerous other gadgets for measuring mileage, calories burned and similar things. It’s a small device and I think also that it’s inexpensive, so there’s no reason why you shouldn’t use it.