Hey everyone,

I have to have this Transesophageal Echocardiogram done, it's kind of a test I think, I have no idea, to be honest. My doctor told me that I should do it but when I asked what is it used for, he wouldn't tell me, he probably thought that I would be frightened or something like that, but I'm not that kind of a person. It amuses me now that I don't know anything about this test and I honestly want to know, just out of pure curiosity.

So is there anyone who can tell me what is Transesophageal Echocardiogram and how it is performed?

Hey there Adria,

Transesophageal Echocardiography is a test that uses sound waves to create high-quality moving pictures of the heart and its blood vessels. Its echo shows the size and shape of the heart and how well the heart chambers and valves are working.

The procedure itself is not very pleasant. The doctor will insert a tube down your throat and into your esophagus. This approach allows your doctor to get more detailed pictures of your heart because the esophagus is directly behind the heart. 

This can help diagnose a lot of different heart conditions which, in any other case would be very hard to diagnose.

Oh, okay, thank you, Bee. It doesn't matter if the procedure is unpleasant as long as it is not dangerous.

I understand now. I was complaining to my doctor about how I feel like my heart skips a beat sometimes, I guess that is why he decided that it would be smart for me to do this test. Well, I hope that they don't find anything wrong, I feel fine anyway.

Since I already asked, is there anything else that you can tell me about this? What conditions and diseases can it specifically show and how dangerous could these conditions and diseases be?

Hey guys,

Adria, with the new info that you just wrote I would say that you have some type of arrhythmia. This echocardiogram can also find out if you have any type of arrhythmia so it is good. Basically, arrhythmias mean that you have an irregular heartbeat. Most of these are not life threatening or dangerous at all, however, some of them can be dangerous but luckily, it's not your case.

You should definitely go and do the test. It costs you nothing, it isn't a dangerous procedure and you are going to know for sure if you have an arrhythmia or not.

Hi Stradivarius,

Well, I am definitely going to do the test anyway, I was sure about that even before I put my question here.

Yes, I know something about arrhythmia but I never thought that I could have one, never crossed my mind. Anyway, I don't feel my heart skipping a beat very often, maybe like, once a day, so I'm guessing that even if it is arrhythmia that I have, it is in its mild form and definitely not dangerous or life threatening. If this test shows that I have it, I'm going to do whatever it takes to try and treat it.

Hello there.

Transesophageal echocardiogram, or TEE  is actually an alternative way to perform an echocardiogram. It is a test that uses sound waves to make pictures of your heart’s muscle and chambers, valves and outer lining (pericardium), as well as the blood vessels that connect to your heart. Doctors use TEE to find some possible problems in your heart’s structure and function. This thing, TEE can give you and your doctor clearer pictures of the upper chambers of the heart, and the valves between the upper and lower chambers of the heart, than standard echocardiograms. It is good test and it is not that big problem for doctors to preform it.

Hello there guys. I need to ask you some questions about this as well. My doctor told me that I should do transesophageal echocardiogram very soon. According to some tests that I had, he told me that there is some problem with my heart and that I should find the best way to see what is going on. The best thing is TEE according to him, but frankly I am a little bit scared about it. I am not sure why, but I think that something bad can happen to me during the procedure. Please, tell me am I making a mistake?

Good day everyone.

Now when you know what TEE is I can easily explain to you how this is performed. Look, transesophageal echocardiogram is done by inserting a probe with a transducer down the esophagus rather than placing the transducer on the chest in a transthoracic echocardiogram. Doctor is inserting the transducer in the esophagus, and in this caseTEE provides a clearer image of the heart because the sound waves do not have to pass through skin, muscle, or bone tissue. From this test your doctor can read what is going on with you and what is wrong with your heart generally. You should not be afraid of it.

Good day there guys.

My wife had this procedure and I was with her all the time during it. There are a several cases when your doctor recommend this procedure for you. Doctors may recommend transesophageal echocardiography or TEE shortly to help diagnose a heart or blood vessel disease or condition. TEE can be used for adults and children as well. But also, doctors can use TEE to prepare for a patient's surgery and identify possible risks. For example, they may use TEE to look for possible sources of blood clots in the heart or aorta. Blood clots can cause a stroke during surgery.