Hi there. Recently I have had some attacks that were not that nice. I had really hard problems with my heart, so now I am not at my job I am at my home and I am waiting to see what is going to happen to me. Of course, immediately when I started to feel weak I went to see my doctor. He told me that I am ready for echocardiogram tests, but he told me that he needs to determine which one is the best for me. I believed that there is just one test like this. Guess I was wrong. What types of Echocardiogram tests exist?

Sure that there are several types, but I am familiar with only one. Transthoracic echo is the most common type of echocardiogram test and doctors usually recommend it. The main thing is that this test is totally painless and noninvasive. "Noninvasive" means that no surgery is done and no instruments are inserted into your body. This type of echo involves placing a device called a transducer on your chest and in that case the device sends special sound waves, called ultrasound, through your chest wall to your heart. The human ear can't hear ultrasound waves. I believe that you will do this one. 

I have done this stress echo is done as part of a stress test as well. It is also painful and helpful. Now, during a stress test, you exercise or take medicine that your doctor prescribed to you, to make your heart work hard and beat fast. A technician will use echo to create pictures of your heart before you exercise and as soon as you finish. Some heart problems, such as coronary heart disease, are easier to diagnose when the heart is working hard and beating fast. It is used less than Transthoracic echo but it is helpful just like this one.

Good day folks. Sometimes, your doctor may have a hard time seeing the aorta and other parts of your heart using a standard transthoracic echo. In this option he will always, but ALWAYS recommend transesophageal echo, or TEE. I think that we discussed about this test a couple of times, right? Now, during this test, the transducer is attached to the end of a flexible tube. The tube is guided down your throat and into your esophagus (the passage leading from your mouth to your stomach). This allows your doctor to get more detailed pictures of your heart. It can determine a lot of issues that you have. 

I totally agree with everyone, but I have to agree more with you La Yl La than anybody else in here. My friend did this test as well, and she did fetal echo test. She told me that this test is used to look at an unborn baby's heart and that is why doctor are recommending it. Also, doctor may recommend this test to check a baby for heart problems. When recommended, the test is commonly done at about 18 to 22 weeks of pregnancy. For this test, the transducer is moved over the pregnant woman's belly. Good luck there.