I had an EST stress test this week which came back as negative although here was some sagging but apparently this can regularly occur. There was no diagnosis of ischaemia and I was taken off Isorsorbide and Diltiazem.
I have been referred for a echo heart scan. please can you tell me is this normal procedure and why I need one if the exercise tolerance test was negative.
Is there still a possibility of some heart defect even though I done well on the tread mill

hi, an echo will provide the doctors with different views of your heart and allow them to take different measurements, it is another way of ruling out any problems, or if any are found, then being able to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. hope this helps

Hello there dudey,

Ultrasound based techniques utilize very high frequency sound waves that are beyond the level of human hearing but I believe that you are aware of that fact. A probe transmits these waves into the body and our body is composed of different types of tissue: bone, muscle, blood, vessels and internal organs. Each of these types of tissue will interact with ultrasound waves in a different way.

When this probe transmits an ultrasound wave into human tissue the human tissue will reflect part of that wave. After this probe will then record the characteristics of that reflected wave and plot it on a video screen. Transmission of ultrasound waves causes no pain but the ultrasonography may have to press the probe firmly to get good quality images.