OK then, here I am again with another topic. I currently moisturise my skin twice a day. When I get up in the morning I have a shower, wash my face, and then moisturise with a heavier day cream (which I'll probably be replacing with something lighter now spring's nearly there). Then at night I remove my makeup, cleanse my face, and apply a night cream. I'd guess that's a fairly normal routine, one that mimics what most other people also do, right? I'd be curious to hear other people's routines and any arguments in favour of moisturising less often or more often though...

You need to moisturize every time you have a shower, no matter how many times a day you do. That is because showering actually draws moisture from your skin and you need to somehow replace it. You also need to moisturize after washing your face.

I generally take a shower after finishing at the gym, so on gym days I definitely moisturize at least three times a day. I don't wear much makeup so I don't have to worry that my makeup gets messed up after moisturizing, so I also carry a little tiny jar of moisturizer with me wherever I go and then apply it whenever I think my skin needs it, like after spending time in an airconditioned area.

This is probably a Captain Obvious comment, but I'll say it anyway: it's not just how often you moisturize that matters, but also what type of moisturizer you are using. You need a moisturizer that is right for your skin type, otherwise you can be doing more harm than good. You also need to think about the climate, including the indoor climate, in other words heating vs cooling.

You also benefit from toning your skin before you moisturize because that way your skin is prepped for the rehydration you are about to offer it.

Twice a day unless you do something special like shower more often or you're feeling really dry is obvious. But if your moisturizer is not right for you, nothing can save your skin, no matter how often you apply it or whether you refrain from doing it.

Cool question. It has really made me think.

My short answer is that I hydrate my skin twice a day too, and that I have never considered any other way to go about it. For one, I feel my skin needs moisturizing both in the morning and evening, and the rest of the day, well, I work all day so I would not have time to moisturize anyway, and it would only make my makeup smudge. My face is fine, feels nice all day long, so I don't see a reason to change my current approach either.

B.

How often to moisturize is a matter of trial and error that is unique to each individual. Twice a day seems to be the default option right now, but there are definitely people who are better off moisturizing their skin once a day or more than twice a day. If your skin looks good and is nice and supple, that will give you the clue you need that you are doing it right. If your skin is too oily or dry, then you will need to change something. I too usually moisturize twice a day, but if my skin needs more, I don't hesitate to do it another time or two. 

Celebrity

This seems like one of those rare threads where many people are in agreement. I, too, moisturize my skin twice daily. Rather than choosing commercial moisturizers that tend to be laden with synthetic chemicals, I am choosing the more natural option and using jojoba oil, coconut oil, argan oil and several others depending on what I feel like :). I always apply my chosen moisturizer to damp skin. I've been using the oil cleansing method on and off and after that, I may or may not feel like I need to add extra oil. Either way, my skin is being hydrated nicely. 

Rosie

So, I only moisturize in the morning. When I take my makeup off if I am wearing any, I like to just let my skin breathe. I don't like the idea that there is something artificial on my skin at all times, no matter how good it is, I think the natural skin needs time to itself :). It works fine for me. My skin looks good, and I don't think it would be any better if I moisturized more often. So "just" once a day is not the end of the world at all! Give it a go if you are brave enough!

You should moisturize your face twice a day: one time in the morning and one time in the evening. Lots of people skip important steps in the process, though, and this can leave your skin looking dull. ALWAYS cleanse before moisturizing. Then tone. Consider a toner with glycolic acid if you have any blemishes at all. Only then do you put your moisturizer on, and leave it a while before applying makeup if you do. If you follow these steps, you are taking good care of your skin and not doing a half hearted skincare regimen that will cause damage in the longer term. These steps are as important as how often you moisturize.