I'm a medical professional and took subutex for almost 2 years. I tries so many times to come off but the withdrawals were so bad that i went right back to it. The oxycodone i was taking didn't hurt to quit as badly as the subutex.

DO NOT let anyone tell you to stay on this stuff for more than a month. It is a schedule 3 drug. Oxycodone, methadone, morphine, etc. are schedule 2 drugs. That means that there is almost as much risk for dependancy for the buprenorphine as there is to morphine and oxycodone. And the risk is the SAME as hydrocodone. DO NOT BE FOOLED, this is not a miracle drug. Use it to come off the opiates, but never take it for more than a month or you will have a new addiction. I've been there, trust me. These doctors haven't used the stuff and been through the withdrawals, so don't go thinking they are all-knowing on the use and cessation of this drug. BELIEVE ME, buprenorphine addiction is worse than any pill addiction. Your withdrawals will be worse than with the other pills, but while you're on the subutex/suboxone, you don't get the pleasure--it's a lose-lose situation.

Use the subutex to detox from the opiates and get off of it within a month or there will be hell to pay. Trust me on this.

The first time i was prescribed subutex, the Dr, state i will start you off at 40 mgs per day, He was a nice Dr, and I trusted him, like everyone else in that profession. the office cost is 300 dollars first visit and one hundred for the following visit. Most programs want you on it for 3 months. He had me on it for a year.
I just finally stop taking them with lots of suffering and pain physically mentally and almost embaressly.

Your right if you think if this is like any addicting drug , Get OFF it. If the Dr, wants you on it for 3 months try detox almost immediately. I was on 40 mgs i got a cold one day about three months in the program and drop mine dose. to 10 mgs a day.

Believe me even two mgs is horrible feeling, It took me 3 Dr. visit and about five times of meds to help.

I would never put any living creature thru this so heres want to dol.

Results may vary 16 day to 20 days yourll feel human again.

Get a dr. appt a smart kind Dr. tell him the truth what goal is get off subutex. The Dr will presribe you two prescriptions. lorapam 2 mgs 3 times a day. If there to strong break them in half. Next is catapres,or clonopin ( blood pressure) side effect diariah

Buy this its important, benedrayl , cold med the highest mgs use this during the day and midday but especially at night.
This is for your being itchy , or what they call the creeper crawlers. Its like sleeping on crumbs. Dont eat it bed lol.

You might need some advils , tylenol or aleve. Results may vary aleve is the one the most say to use. I like advil it works best for me

WARNING NO CAFFINE AT ALL YOUR REGRET IT , IT MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE DOGGIE DOO DOO.

BE PATIENT EVERY DAY AFTER THE YOU WONT SUFFER THE WITHDRAWLS NO WORSE WITH JUST QUITTING SUBTEX COLD TURKEY.
ALL HUMAN BODIES ARE DIFFERENT,

EXERCISE START OFF LIGHT SIT UPS AT HOME OR BIKE RIDES. PUSH YOUR SELF

JUST REMEMBER YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF AND TO YOUR NEW AND OLD FREIND AND FAMILY..

PS MY SUBUTEX DOCTOR HAS AN ISLAND RESORT IN COSTA RICA

I BELIEVE WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND , HE ALMOST POISON ME AND MY MIND. I KNOW FOR A FACT THE COSTA RICA HAS THE WORLD SECOND MOST POISON SNAKE PER CAPITAL.

They told me it was a miracle drug. I suffered from neck pains--disk removal surgery. I was taking narcotic pain medication to avoid going back for surgery again. Within four years, I was on 240 mg of oxycontin a day. They detoxed me with the bupenorphine, telling me I should stay on it--it was a solution to the narcotic for pain management. They're telling me I'm going to have to stay on it for the rest of my life. I feel like I've been deceived. My motive for coming off the oxycontin was to get my tolerance level down to where I could just get by with taking a percocet or two a day for pain management and none at all on good days. They have me on 16 mg of bupenorphine a day. I feel like I'm going through withdrawal symptoms by the time I get out of bed in the morning. I believe they're using me to experiment for the long-term effects of buprenorphine because I am required to see a psychiatrist who prescribes the medicine for me. They're telling me this is my best solution--to accept this buprenorphine, and that it's not that addictive. But my instinct tells me differently. Do I have any grounds for legal action? Because according to what you're telling me, I'm in over my head, and they're telling me I'm not.

Is this the right place to ask a question about Bupenorphine (the pain patch?) - I hope so....
The comments here (on this discussion board) are VERY helpful!

I have "chronic" (really acute upon acute) pain due to severe bone disease multiple fractures...
I have been on the Fentanyl pain patch for > 2 years. (in addition, Tylenol 3 +/- Percocet for breakthrough pain.
Life SUX.
I am not a fan of Tylenol 3 or Percocet.

Fentanyl is the only Rx I have ever used that has no mental effects, and gradually works but I can function well. (The T3 and Percocet cause memory loss, Percocet causes mood swings but both give some pain relief.

Problem: The effects of the Fentanyl (patch) do not last very long (None of the "long-acting" drugs last in me)
The doctor has been suggesting changing to the "Bupenorphine” pain patch (Butrans).

Has anyone had experience with the patch form and with the Fentanyl patch? If so, would switching to Butrans be advisable?
Thanks!

I recently weaned myself off suboxone after taking almost for 3 years. I am very scared, disturbed by the wd symptoms im still having after 2 weeks of not taking it. I was dependent of 4 percocits a day for 5 months I was taking percocits for 2 herniated discs in my neck, when the Dr decided suboxone was the answer. I am 64 a women with a thyroid condition . Will these feelings go away

I am sure your symptoms will dissipate! Especially since YOU are the one who wanted to stop the drug in the first place.

What is the condition of your herniated discs?

What you are doing about the discs?

Are you still in pain?

IMO the medication that has worked for ME is the fentanyl patch - IT HAS MANY PROBLEMS AND I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT.... But for me it's more effective than Percocet and Tylenol 3...

My philosophy is to
1. Watch out for health pros (HPs) with *new* drugs.
Drug companies do anything to convince health pros  (and patients) that THEIR NEW drug is perfect. Very few if any are...
There are SO MANY new drugs being developed that it is hard to "keep up" so they (HPs) rely on the drug rep.

2. Do your own research on Meds instead of relying on others: MDs and pharmacists and advertisements.

Good luck.

(Repeat IMO since YOU are the one who wanted to stop, YOU are way ahead).

Thank you so much for writing . Hearing my symptoms will dissipate is music to my ears. Yes I so wanted off suboxone I hate the drug and wish the Dr had never put me on them. Especially for the reason he did. But what's done is done I can't go back only go forward. My herniated disc seems to be ok for now I had shots 3 years ago, I also have a rotator cuff problem but its not that bad . Meds are NOT necessary. I remember getting the same patch from my Pain Management Dr also it did help me also. I don't know what to take for pain if I ever have it. Now I am just taking Advil if needed. My main concern is what you read on these sites the long term effect the drug could have on my organs etc.. Its just very frightening to read. But thank you again for writing its always comforting to hear from someone who cares. My Best with Much Luck to you

I just read your post are feel for you and your situation. I too was victimized by the Dr's telling me that Suboxone was the answer to getting off the 4 Percocits I was on a day for 4 Month. Almost 3 years later on suboxone I finally 2 weeks ago bit the bullet and stopped the HORROR DRUG. I have been going through withdrawal symptoms every day, they seem to be getting better but not gone yet. I think Suboxone is a horrible treatment, I feel weaning of percocits should have been the Dr choice. Suboxone is addictive and we know it. If you can wean yourself off with the help of a good DR do it. The sooner the better. I was down to a chip of a 2.5 mg once a day when I said I can't do it anymore. I would like to know if you did take any legal action why because I believe Suboxone stole 3 years of my life and Im still not me yet.. I hope your doing ok. Im here if you need to talk. My Best

I was on Vicodin after removal of gall bladder and a history of kidney stones. When taking vicodin I notice that they relieved hangovers too, thus I got addicted to taking about four regular strength a day. I went doctor shopping for about a year and finally sought help. I have been on Sub for about 7 years and I have gone down to almost nothing and then back up to 4 mg a day. So how do I feel about the Sub. Good and bad. I am not happy that I have taken sub for such a long time, however, it was my choice to use opiates to begin with. Nobody held a gun to my head and told me to take them. I am not going to blame the sub or the doctor that I am a dumbass and got addicted to begin with. Sub can help out and I do not ever want to get addicted to Vicodin again. I am down to almost nothing on the sub, but if I begin to crave the vikes again I will take Sub. 

One thing I have found with sub, with me is that it can raise your blood pressure, make you sleepy and irritable and gives you temporary short term memory. Of course it's better not to take anything, but these people who are saying sub is evil are ridiculous. Take responsiblity for your own actions and stop blaming the damn doctors. Nobody forced you to get addicted to begin with. Sub will cause withdrawals so it's best to taper. You can taper fast too. You have got to get down to crumbs and then take clonidine for about a month once your jump off. Make sure that you have some kind of spiritual support so as not to get hooked again on opiates and for God's sake if you feel like taking oxy's or vikes, then take the sub instead. Don't get back on opiates. At the least the sub has a long half life and you wont be walking around high on sub. 

My addiction specialist has had me on 8mg 3x a day for the last 2 years. He claims I need another 2-3 years before I can come off them. He says my brain chemicals will take that long to be restored. Any suggestions? I've tried to come off them & became so sick I had to go to the hospital. What can I do?

Hey. Have your feelings dissipated yet? It's been 8 months. Some people describe this as the worst withdrawal of
Thier life, some people don't, I believe that pharmacology varies. I know the withdrawals from this drug are bad, experiencing Mildly right now, but I am at work. The question should never be, should I stop taking a drug that has altered my body chemistry, but how best to do it and under what circumstances. Your body relies on this medication for many things now, regulating your
Body temperature, appetite, pleasure sense ect..that said, the body is amazing and the younger we are the more "plastic" our body and mind is, and the easier it is to deal with trauma like withdrawals. There is no conspiracy here, this drug has helped thousands who no longer need to take it, but understand that most addiction to any substance is mental, understanding that you must address the reasons you used and use this, only then can you get past your depression. Depression is something you will face as an addict, and a human being, most people think getting
Down to 2mg a day is acceptable. It really is best determined by you and
An educated intelligent Health care provider, but sometimes the answer to help effectively taper would be going to a once every other day, then once every third day and so on. Obviously everyone is different, as evidenced by the significantly varying information people are providing on thier experiences.

Your addiction specialist has no idea about pharmacology if they are making statements like that. I see a lot of people who were on pain pills for months who got on subutex for years...I would question the knowledge and ethics of the providers in such a circumstance. Most providers who don't know anything about the subject think subutex is fixing your body chemistry. It is not...the short term use of small amounts of painkillers generally do not warrant replacement therapy, just a week or two in bed at the most. The issue is ignorance in the health care community and people who weren't mentally dependent on a drug now
Being Mentally dependent on this, of course you would think this is worse wouldn't you? But know that your situation is always unique, as is your body chemistry. The mental aspect is so strong it dwarfs the physical, physical withdrawal is over within a few week, but the mind can languish for years because the underlying reason we used was never addressed, counseling helps, if you are like me perhaps you have insanely vivid dreams after cessation before the insomnia kicks in on day 3-5 that really provide valuable insight into the issues you were numbing yourself to, address those and you have just won the most importan battle of your life, one that will help with addiction, also, the younger the better, with regards to getting off the drugs and the mental and physical withdrawals, just ask middle aged binge drinker about thier hangovers now, versus thier mid to late 20's...

HELLLLL NO DONT DO IT I WAS IN WD 2 DAYS LATER ITS LIKE BABY ASPRIN COMPARED TO FENTENYL

It really has not affected me this way at all. To become addicted, you really have to have an addictive personality or genetic predisposition. I took Ultram 300 XR for two and a half years and ended it with mo withdrawals at all. I took Percocet off and on for over a year. Can take it or leave it. It doesn't make me feel any different other than lack of pain. I have even tried medical MJ. Tasted nasty. Worked very well, but again, I did not feel the need to take it unless my pain was level 10. Again, did not continue with it. I just think that everyone is different, and not everyone has an addictive personality or genetic factor. There is a lot of over generalization about pain meds in the media, who choose to focus only on addicts instead of people like me who never get physically or mentally addicted to anything. I just want good pain control. I combine a lot of natural therapies with the meds I take, and it has been a struggle to find doctors who do not immediately look at everyone as a drug seeker. There are many people like me out there who just want to improve their quality of life, and feeling "high" is not on our agenda.

Then you don't belong here if your not addicted mentally or physically. The people here don't need your BS. So take your dime store medical advice and f**k off.