hi

my 3 months baby was pooping once every 3 daus for a week, before that was once a day , then after the 3 days separated poop week suddenly started to have frequent pooping round 5 times daily, almost with feeding - she is exclusively BreastFed - the consistency is ranging from yellow to greenish yellow with mucus and once in a while would be geen and very mucusy.

she was suspected for lactose intolerance and i am tryng to mix betweeb breast feed and lactose Free formula using a spoon as she cries and never wants the bottle, the result she can cant take enuf with the spoon and is crying if not bvreast fed..

her WBC count was bit high and i was told that is due to teething..soem say iots all teething...

dont know what to do the doctor dont seems to have a direct answer and the lactose free formula is so difficult to give ...if this is Lctose intolerance what is the best way to handle for a breasfed young baby?? if now what could it be then??

Breast fed baby's often poop more than bottle fed baby's and the consistancy of the poop is very loose and can be yellow or i call it "mustard" color.
If baby is lactose intolerant i think you would know it. He/she would be cramping and bubbly and probably cranky. Your own breast milk is perfect for your baby. Maybe the baby is all of a sudden not tolerating your breast milk, did you have it checked? I doubt that is the problem but can't rule it out. As your baby grows, their bowel patterns will change. It is fine for a baby not to poop for days, possibly more than a week. If it goes past that, a call to the Pedi is suggested.
When you decide to wean your baby, there are many lactose free formulas on the market. You doctor may suggest a formula that contains iron, don't be alarmed, this kind is also constipating due to the iron content. There is Enfamil Soy Based formula containg no milk products or Similac Soy. If baby is having a lactose problem, there will be so many things that he/she will not be able to ingest, such as cheese or ice cream.
I would say keep the baby at the breast. If baby seems happy and content and gaining weight. In a few months you will be starting on solids, like rice cereal and applesauce, then you will see another change in poop patterns. With this change will come bm's with more consistancy and form and may be a bit solid. And oh by the way, smell.

thanks for ur advice, now i retested the stool its alkaline and test showed M Bacteria one + the ped. gave me antibiotic started yesterday but still same behaviour ..may b i should wait 24 hrs

I'm so happy that you have updated us. The baby poop thing can be tricky. You did the right thing by getting it checked out. Meds do take some time to work, but after 24 hours, if things haven't changed as expected, I would call the doctor's office. Since the baby can't speak for himself, it's important to stay on top of things I hope that things will improve soon. Let us know. many new mothers struggle with what to do when baby routines change. This post will be extremely helpful to a lot of people. Thanks and good luck!

thanks a lot for ur care as well, the thing is quite weird. my baby still has the same issue however the stools are changing ..once very green and all mucusy and one yellowish with small white lumps ...after feeds :-( I am concerned about dehydration most

tomorrow is her vaccine date ..i will probably have them for a consult ..meanwhile anyideas would be appreciated

I think it's definitely a good idea to consult with the doctor when you go in today for her vaccines. It hasn't been 24 hours yet since you have been giving her antibiotics so it's best to just monitor the situation and make sure that antibiotics run their course. I know that you're impatient and you want your baby to get better as quickly as possible, but you will need to wait for a bit because it's going to take a bit of time. Keep us posted though. It sounds like you've done everything right.

HI
NOW WE have finished with the antibiotic course, the situation is much better definitely, however my baby still makes 3-4 BM per day
they r greenish yellow not mucusy with whitish seedy - pellety constitue

i decided to just continue breastfeeding n assume that its linked to teething perhaps since my LO is otherwise fine

neveryheless antibio did something good :-)

Yeah! I am so glad to hear that things are better. Still, because of the baby's age, stay in touch with the MD as needed, especially if the baby seems irritable or if the baby's behind gets sore as a result of so much pooping. :-) You must be really relieved. Do you have any other new baby info to share that might be helpful to other new mom's? We'd love to hear it. Please let us know.

Hi
Thanks a lot for your replies and advices i do appreciate a lot

My four month is getting addicted to sucking her thumb...dunno if this should be treated asap, my niece had a similar behaviour and continued till 7 or 8 yrs till her jaw looked protruding :-(