Hi, guys. My father has been an alcoholic ever since I was a little kid. He showed some memory problems and problems with balance, so we took him to the doctor. There, he was diagnosed Korsakoff’s syndrome after testing. I would like to know what medications are used for this syndrome. I would really appreciate if anyone could answer me.

Hi, there. Korsakoff’s syndrome is caused by the lack of thiamine (vitamin B1). Therefore, the main thing in therapy is to recover thiamine. It is usually administrated intravenously. Electrolyte supplements are also used, especially potassium and magnesium. If the person feels anxiety, one can be given anxiolytics or tranquilizer. My uncle had this syndrome, so as far as I remember this was his therapy. You can talk to your father’s doctor to find out some more details. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!