My brother has a Korsakoff's syndrome. As much as I read about this disorder I’m more desperate. My brother has just started with treatment and I not sure will he be ok again. I want to ask somebody of you with some experience what is the prognosis for Korsakoff's syndrome. Thanks!

I know a lot of about Korsakoff's syndrome because my dad has it. Fifteen to twenty percent of all patients hospitalized for this syndrome will die of the disorder. Of course, everything depends on the stage of disease and of type of treatment. But only 20% of patients recover completely from amnestic deficit.

I am so sorry that your brother was diagnosed with this condition.

Anyhow this condition is caused by the deficiency of vitamin B. the best of everything considering this condition is that it is treatable if you have find out about it in time so I hope that you have and that your brother has already started with treatment, which should include large doses of vitamin B.

Sometimes symptoms of this condition are very similar to symptoms of Alzheimer’s and also it is very common in people who are alcoholic and in older people so it is easy mistaken for Alzheimer’s. this is also the worst part because if it isn’t discovered in time the prognosis are not that great.