Hi, heard about Levulan Photodynamic Therapy, but I don’t know too many details, like how does it actually work? Is it shown to be effective in acne treatment?

Hi, I used Levulan Photodynamic Therapy to treat my sun damaged skin. I used to exaggerate with sun bathing during summer. The Levulan Photodynamic Therapy is a 2-part process that consists of Levulan Kerastick topical solution and the Blue Light Treatment. It has proven in treating acne, sun damaged skin, oily skin and Sebaceous Hyperplasia. The topical solution is applied on the skin for 45-60 minutes, and after that a Blue Light Treatment is performed for 4-8 minutes. This treatment is non-invasive and pain-free. After treatment skin shows redness and minimal sweling may also occur.

Levulan photodynamic therapy for acne unclogs pores and the most exciting fact is that Levulan treatment should shut down the sebaceous glands in the skin. Because most of the teenagers are usually suffering from the acne problem this treatment is ideal for them and moreover this treatment should provide better results than any other.

What Levulan is doing is that selectively destroys acne bacteria and shrinks overactive oil glands which supply nutrition for acne bacteria and afterwards you have cystic acne which is leaving scars.

The whole procedure will be explained to you by your doctor and there are some post-treatment instructions as well.  It is extremely important that you stay out of the sun for 48 hours after your treatment because your skin will be extremely sensitive.