Hi, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with tularemia and he is hospitalized now. As far as I know, he is given chloramphenicol. I would like to know something more about this antibiotic since I don’t know much about it. Is it efficient at all? I will really appreciate all your replies. Bye!

Hello. Tularemia is a serious disease and it is good that your friend is hospitalized. He will get a proper care in that way. Chloramphenicol can be recommended here. However, this medication is a third choice drug for tularemia. I think that there is not sufficient data about how this drug works in this disease. Maybe that is why doctors hesitate of using it. You can consult your friend’s doctor for more details. I hope everything will be fine. Bye!

Hi, everyone. I have also heard some similar things about chloramphenicol. It is not well researched when it comes to tularemia. As far as I know penicillin is quite efficient here. Tetracycline is also efficient. Maybe doctor do not use often chloramphenicol since they have other two efficient groups of antibiotics. You should consult someone to see which one is more efficient. Perhaps, your friend is allergic to penicillin, so he got something else. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!