Hi, folks. My cousin had been diagnosed with tularemia and now she has been administrated to the hospital. I hope she will get there all the necessary treatment. I would like to know what medication is given first for this disease. I will be very grateful for all your advices. Bye!

Hello. It is good that your cousin has been hospitalized. Only there, she can get a proper treatment. The first and most used antibiotics are streptomycin or tetracycline. Some people say that gentamycin is also good. However, I think that there is not enough evidence for this. You haven’t mentioned what your cousin received. I hope that everything will be all right. Please, let me know how she progresses. Bye!

Hello. I have also heard about streptomycin and gentamycin as first choice medications. However, I have heard something about the vaccine. Here, bacterium is attenuated. However, this vaccine is reserved for people that belong to high risk groups. It is not recommended to use this vaccine after the prophylaxis. I am sorry I cannot help you with more details. Maybe you should consult a specialist for infectious diseases. Bye! Good luck!