Hi, I am a mother to a teenage girl. When she was younger my relationship with her used to be great. We talked about everything. There were no secrets between us. Now she won't even say hello when she comes home from school. I am really concerned. What is happening with her?

Hi, your daughter is behaving like most girls her age. There isn't a reason for you to worry too much. Girls her age want to be more independent. She would like to have more freedom in making decisions that concern her life. You should try talking to her and find out what is she capable of doing on her own. If you raised her properly, you should have faith in her. Try to understand her. After all, you were a teenager too!

I think the reason she is acting like this is she may be keeping something from you, or trying to assert her independence by showing she doesn’t need her parents any more. Usually teenagers grow out of this, but it is important not to ignore this behaviour. If she feels she is unable to talk to you and is trying to push you out of her life she may be keeping something from you. At this age things like drugs, smoking, sex or bullying are probably the most common reasons for this. Try to understand the stage she is going through and let her know she can talk to you by not over reacting to her behaviour.