Recently my daughter, who enrolled in a graduate program in therapy, told me she needed space to process her anger over childhood wounds and told me not to contact her until she was ready to re-connect, she didn't know when. She said it was not her responsibility to help me understand. After the initial shock I have been felt devastated, depressed and bewildered. It seems all my years of love and devotion to the children have brought nothing but resentment. I have been trying to understand by reading up literature about psychological wounds and childhood psychology. Are there real or virtual support groups for this type of breakup?

Dear accc: I really feel for you! :'( I have never been or will never be understanding about some of the therapies out there. If someone feel slighted - for whatever reason big or small - some of these groups can really emphasize this issue. Basically stating "Research why this happened... and how do you feel about it?....." So basically giving someone creedence for what might be imaginary or blown out of proportio. There are children/grownups out there with TERRIBLE emotional scarring from their childhood. So if one of thos poor souls is in a group like your daughters and is stating what has happened in their past, your daughter can inadvertantly put her "little" episodes in there and have to make them bigger to be an equal. If you have a clear conscience about how you have brought up your daughter all I can say is for you to heal just yourself. You cannot change your daughters outlook at this time. You can only change how you are dealing with this slight, right? I know where I live there are parental help lines? Google the help lines in your area, and any mental health clinics, that can provide some input. But I think - personally - there has already been too much input from the counselling/therapy side. So you need to talk to other parent who have been slighted and hurt as bad as you have. I just punched in "Parental Support" And a whole bunch of sites came up. So do the same, and you will find one in your area. Give your daughter the space she is demanding, and let her come back to you. You can't make them unfortunately. Just heal yourself and know you did the best job of parenting that you could!!! Good Luck and Best Wishes!

That's a really hard situation to be in, and I feel for you. I think the most important thing for you to realize is not to take it personally--after all, it's about her issues and not yours. I know she's your daughter and you want to care for her, but it's also important to take care of yourself. I think the best thing you can do reach out to friends and family to talk to them about this. It is a lot more common than you think! If you are looking for support, you could check in your area for a social worker or a therapist who can help guide you through this difficult time. Please keep us posted as to your progress though! It's important to type it out, even if it's to total strangers ;-)