I read this:
"If your muscle is sore to the touch or the soreness limits your range of motion, it's best that you give the muscle at least another day of rest," says Alan Mikesky, Ph.D., director of the human performance and biomechanics laboratory at Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis. In less severe instances, an "active rest" involving light aerobic activity and stretching, and even light lifting, can help alleviate some of the soreness. "Light activity stimulates bloodflow through the muscles, which removes waste products to help in the repair process," says David Docherty, Ph.D., a professor of exercise science at the University of Victoria in Canada.
and it got me thinking: what other rules do you follow as a runner?

don't spit in the wind.

don't spit in the wind.
As funny as that sounds, it's true.

Pre & and Post event nutrition is as beneficial as the event itself

don't spit in the wind.
don't tug on superman's cape I couldn't resist post workout: stretch!!! make time!! It pays in dividends not only in flexibility but in injury prevention.

Build a mileage base first then work on speed later.

ummm. eating well. that is most important even before training. if you are training and not eating healthy, you are not reaching your full potential. dont eat before a race, you will end up pukin it on the racecourse. STRETCH AFTER RUNNING!! it is just as important as stretching before. it prevents getting tight, which in turn, prevents injury. get good shoes. if your shoes are too small and your feet are touching the end, you can do serious damage to your toenail, and if your shoes are too old and are loosing their form, they can hurt your feet. if you get shin splints, dont try and run them off, stop imediatly and stretch and ice them over and over until you are better. get flats for racing, they really do help your time. be consistent with your running, missing a week of training takes 2 weeks to gain back what you missed. know your limits. overtraining can be dangerous to your health. get sleep, it gives you energy, especially before a race.

ok, there is the list of most of the rules i go by.

Good rules! Thank you for posting!! :wavey:

Get your training in. I wanted to run a marathon this spring, but I knew I could not get in the miles. So I wasn't going to do it half-#ssed.
I'm working on my miles now to prep for fall marathon.

Life is as fair as it is going to be. The rest is determined by dedication, perserverance, and determination.