Good morning. I am training for my first marathon, the Flying Pig, in Cincinnati on May 1st. I read that this was a hilly course. I was wondering if anyone here had run it before and could offer some training advice or suggestions. This will be my first marathon.

I have not run it, but I went to school in Cinti and there is one considerable hill at the Eden Park area. If you are in southern Indiana, you should have some good sized hills? Train on your hills and it won't be an obstacle.
I might be down to run the 1/2 marathon this year. I would LOVE to run the Flying Pig since living in the city but it's not been at convenient times for me.

Melissa: Congrats on training for and running your 1st marathon.

The flying Pig was my 1st thon as well and the city is hilly, but looking at this years course the only trouble you will run into is miles 6 to 9 where the course rises 300 feet in elevation as you go around the eden park area which is at the highest point of the city (and a good view).

There were complaints in the past about the all the hills on the course and they have made an effort to reduct the amount of hill throughout the race.

The new wrinkle is going over the bridges early in the race as opposed to the last three miles of the race. If you run this race I would caution you to keep your pace down a bit the as you cross the bridges into Covington KY and then back into Cincy. You want to save yourself for the bigger hills come mile 6 to 9.

The city puts on a great race, the hotel staff is great, the goddie-bag has lots of extra "bling-bling" stuff and a fun event. I'm toying with running the 1/2 marathon or wait a few weeks for Madison.

Best of Luck,

S99

Thanks for all the great info. I live in southern Indiana, so I'm used to running some hills, so hopefully the hills of Cincinnati won't be too bad.

Thanks again!