How many miles would you want on a new pair of shoes before you raced in them. I have a new pair of shoes with ~20miles on them that I would like to use for an upcoming half marathon. On shorter runs (5 miles or less) they do not seem to been causing any chaffing or blistering. I don't want to risk testing them out on a longer run this close to my race.

Have you used this shoe model before? If it is your third pair of Asics 2090 (for example), you're probably okay.

Personally, I would probably want to have taken the shoes out for a long run or two before committing them to a race. If this half marathon is a big race for you and not just a glorified training run (as mine will be in two weeks), I would hesitate if this isn't a brand/model you've used before.

I'd use them if it was me. Partly because by the time I buy new shoes the old ones are shot as far as cushioning. running shoes don't seem to need much break in for me.

The half is really only part of my training for the marathon I'm doing in October. There's probably little harm in risking it - but I get pretty competitive and would be really irritated if my shoes held me back even during a (somewhat) meaningless race. They did cause a blister on the side of my foot the first time I ran in them (5 miles) but there hasn't beeen a problem since.

In that case, I think I'd say to use the shoes. How long have the runs been since that first run?

Why don't you take them on one more 10 miler just to be safe.

A couple of weeks but I've only run a few short distance runs in them since (and gone on a few walks with my wife).

I have a 12 mile run planned for Sunday but I don't want to risk screwing my feet up a few weeks before my race.

I'm probably over thinking. I'll just keep using the new shoes for all my short distance runs leading up to the half and then use them on the half. I just wondered if people had a rule of thumb for mileage before they considered new shoes broken in. Thanks for the advice though.

I'm really just a big baby about blisters.

i'd take them on the 12 mile run on sunday, but that's just me......i think blisters are more a "sock" issue than a shoe issue. thor-lo socks are blister proof for me. i got a blister in a half, at mile 6, in old shoes but new socks :x

True about the socks.

Be sure you run a long run in whatever socks you are going to wear on raceday.

Good luck.

ps - could you run a loop? Then change your shoes out if they suck after a few miles. Otherwise, get a long run under your belt and have the confidence to know they will be great for the race.

Did the 12 miler today in my new shoes. Felt great. As I suspected I was worried about nothing. :wiggle:

nice!