Hello everyone,

I'm 27 years old, tall and skinny. I've always had a small concave right below my sternum. On the left side there was a small bone(maybe cartilage)? protruding just a little, but not to above my chest plate.

I woke up this morning and it was gone. I've had that for 27 years. I was doing some new exercises earlier this week and I remember hearing my chest crack/pop a little, but I didn't think anything of it.

Today in the shower, I notice the hole in my chest is no longer there. I'm glad it's not there any more, but I really would like to know whats going on and why it happened. I've been doing all sorts of research since this happened and my theory is that the costal cartilage on my 7th rib was never connected to my sternum properly and that is what I could feel protruding a little bit. When I did that exercises that really stretched me out, it actually popped into the place it should be. Does this sound like a valid theory? I just wish I had done that exercise like 15 years ago.

Your condition is called pectus excavatum (concave chest). Apparently the exercises that you had performed had corrected this bone deformity. I would suggest that you continue to perform these exercises on a regular basis. Congratulations to you.

So it seems to be gradually reappearing.. I'm not exactly sure what I did to make it disappear, I did have a new pillow and slept very well that night before I noticed it in the shower the next morning, but that idea is silly..

The fact that I made it go away makes me think I can do something about it.

Should I go see a doctor and ask him about it? I assume a general practice doc wouldn't know to much about it. What type of specialist would I want to go see?