This really isn't a take off from HighHeat's Parents thread.

Do you think it's actually possible for your mother to actually like your taste in clothes or your hairstyle?

I'm going with no.

Isn't it in the teen code that you are supposed to chose a style your mother hates? And the mother's code is to hate whatever you choose.

I had my black leather jacket and JD boots. JD = Juvenile Delinquent also known in song as motorcycle boots. I think technically they were called engineers boots. I didn't really have the boots because I couldn't stand wearing them but I had the black leather jacket 25 or so years before anyone heard of Fonzie. I also had rabbits feet hanging from all the zippers until I began driving a car. I had to take off the one's on the cuffs so they wouldn't get caught in the horn ring on the steering wheel.

I think it's just part of a teen asserting her/his independence as they grow up.

No, just cuz she likes very little about me anyways. Prolly cuz I'm so much like her.

Growing up, I'm not sure mom ever cared for how I dressed, did my hair, etc. As an adult, no idea. We.Don't.Communicate. But I dress well, have nice hair, so she'd probably approve.

Libby is 12, and as such, what she wears and how she does her hair pretty much is up to my discretion. At some point, she'll probably have her own hair thing, but she won't be wearing Ho Clothes (as we call them) until she is 18 and/or goes to college (and even then, I hope she won't!!). I can handle Goth, I can handle Grunge, but so long as she keeps some modesty, it's all good.

My mom hated almost everything about me, so I am going to TRY to be gentle and open-minded when my girls get to showing their own personalities and picking clothes and hairstyles and which trends they'll follow. I said TRY. The piercing issue might be an issue. The showing of body parts WILL be an issue. We'll see...

MoGo has rarely commented negatively on my hair or clothes, and certainly not at all in the last 15 years or so. But that's not her thing.

Big :1: to that. If I ever have a daughter, or a step daughter, this will be a huge influence in the way I relate to her personal style too. I'm with Brie, funky trends are fine as long as she doesn't look like a total ho. I was a child of the 80's, complete with spiked pink hair and safety pins, so I can't really be too much of a hypocrite there ;)

I am thinking that the answer will be no.

I see the way some of the kids dress these days, and am not looking forward to being a parent of a teenage daughter

Kids dress that way because mom and dad let them. You strike me as the type who will actually Parent the Children.

My mother HATED everything about the way I looked. To be fair, I also went through the punk (complete with Mohawk) and then Deadhead phases, so I can't be too hard on a daughter if we have one. I will look to my new sister in law for advice a lot, I think. She had done an admirable job raising her now 12 year old so far. (Genie and Keith can back me on this one.) Smart, beautiful, athletic, poised and polite pre-teen. I'm afraid the family curse of "When you have a child it will grow up and act just like you did" will activate itself. Horrors!!!!!

While we were out and about today, I saw some girl (at least she appeared to be a girl) prolly about 14-15 dressed really hideous. Kimmy said to me, daddy I promise I won't wear something like that. I have her brother as a witness.

My mom actually encouraged my personal sense of style. She even bought my first pair of purple chuck taylor's.

how could my mom have argued with levis and t-shirts every day of my young life? i'm sure there's times when she would have liked to have seen me more "dressed" but she never ever said a word, and i never really pushed it. i remember once having to go back upstairs and change a short skirt before i left for school. put my jeans on.

history seems to be repeating itself with my daughter. she is fairly reasonable and we are like-minded as far as wardrobes go so i'm not anticipating any problems with her.

i shall eat those words.

RR will be taking little RR for her Talbots spree any day now

My mom always taught me understated elegance in fashion, which I've generally held onto through the years (few though those may be).

Funny, when I showed her the navel piercing I got, she said it was "cute". Now, is that anything for a baby-boomer aged mother to say?! LOL

~Astara~