I have a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) scheduled for next week and I am somewhat paranoid about the procedure.
What can I expect? Any advice on do and don'ts following this procedure?
Instructions say I have to lay flat for 24 hrs after but it is being done as an outpatient procedure. I'm not real sure my aching body will allow me to lay that long...any advice would be great.

I noticed that several people viewed this post. I had my scheduled spinal tap yesterday and wanted to relay that it is not as bad as everyone led me to believe.
The worst part for me was being on my stomach for an hour and a half during the procedure and having to be flat on my back for 16 hrs after the procedure.
If any one is facing this and wants more info please blog back.

I underwent a spinal tap last week, 6 days ago to be exact.
I followed orders to the tee, drank plenty of fluids and stayed flat on my back.
I did not suffer from "spinal" headaches which I feel fortunate for but I have been suffering from fairly intense lower back pain right around the hip area sometimes it even moves to the front of my body. I've also been having some issues with bowel movements even though I've had plenty of fiber.
Could this be an after effect from the spinal tap?
Everyday I hope for this to go away and everyday I awake with the same intensity as the day before.
I know the tube they insert to do a spinal tap is really small...could that of caused issues with something else going through to my spinal sac?
I just find it strange I was not having any of these problems prior to the procedure.