Hey there. My cousin needs to do transesophageal echocardiography test. He needs to come here, in California to do it because he told me that he can’t do it in his city, for some reasons.

He will be at my house until those tests are done.

I didn’t wanted to ask him anything about this but I really want to know what he is dealing with. Can you tell me what doeas a transesophageal echocardiography test show and when does someone needs to do it?

Does anyone in here had some experience with it? What do you know about it?

Thank you.

Hey there.

I understand that you are worried but you need to try to calm down. This is a test that produces the pictures of your heart – in this case of your cousin's heart. It uses very high – frequency sound waves to make detailed pictures of your heart and the arteries that lead to and from it. Well, unlikely a standard echocardiography test, this is attached to a very thing tube that passes through your mouth and it goes down to your throat and into your esophagus.  

But to be honest with you I don’t know exactly when does someone needs to do it. I suppose that doctors recommend it when they see that something is not ok on those pictures.

Hi. Doctors use transesophageal echocardiography test to find some possible problems in your heart’s structure and function. It can give really clear picture of the upper chambers of the heart and the valves between the upper and lower chambers. It is much better than standard echocardiograms. Well, doctors may also use it if you have a thick chest wall or if you have a bandages on your chest. It can be very helpful if you are using a ventilator to help you in breathing.

Doctors probably suspects that he is having some of those problems and I am sure that they want to do some test to be positive about his health.

Hi.

There are several reasons why your doctors will recommend transesophageal echocardiography test. He can recommend you to help diagnose heart or blood vessels disease and heart condition. It can be used for adults and for the children as well. Also, doctors can use it to help preparing for surgery or access a patient’s status during and even after the surgery.

As you can see there are so many ways and it is really hard to tell from this perspective why doctor wants to perform this procedure on your cousin.

Maybe everything is OK with your cousin but maybe they want to do this procedure because they believe that he is in some risk.

Hey. This test takes a detailed picture of your heart and its major blood vessels. As you can see it is pretty much simple, it is not complicated as many people think. This test is going to help detect heart valve disease, possible heart tumors and blood clots inside of the patient’s heart. It also can help in detecting an aneurysm which is a swelling like a balloon in a blood vessels. This test combines several procedures and it makes a picture by using sound waves that passes through skin and tissue, without being felt.

It is nothing painful at all.

Have a nice day.