Hello everyone,

I never had any heart problems, at least not that I noticed. I've actually always been pretty much healthy and I didn't expect the following to happen. I went to see my doctor for a regular examination and he found out that I have heart murmur when he used his stethoscope. 

After some additional tests, he found out that the cause of my heart murmur is endocarditis. I did a little research and it turns out that some dental procedures can be the cause of endocarditis and heart murmurs. Now, I have an appointment with my dentist and I don't know if I'm allowed to have any dental work done with my condition.

So I'm here to ask you, since I have heart murmur, can I have any dental work?

Hi Health n Joy,

Actually, if you have heart murmur symptoms, you are not supposed to have some dental procedures done because they can trigger endocarditis. My guess is that you didn't really know this before, did you? You probably already had one of these procedures done and with the heart murmur symptoms you had, this procedure triggered endocarditis, that's how you got it in the first place.

Endocarditis is a rare, life-threatening inflammation of the lining of the heart muscle and its valves. It is caused by a bacterial infection. In very rare cases, bacteria in the mouth may trigger endocarditis in people at higher risk. That would be your case.

Hi you two,

As Stradivarius wrote, you shouldn't have had any dental procedures in the first place, now you are stuck with endocarditis because of them.

Your case is very dangerous, it's very risky when you get endocarditis because of a dental procedure. Bacteria found in tooth plaque may multiply and cause gingivitis (gum disease). If not treated, this may become advanced. The gums become inflamed (red and swollen) and often bleed during tooth brushing, flossing, or certain dental procedures involving manipulation of the gums.

In the case of endocarditis, these gums affect the inner lining of the heart and the surfaces of its valves. The bacteria sticks to these surfaces and create growths or pockets of bacteria.

Hello everyone,

You mustn't have any dental work done, Health n Joy. As Stradivarius wrote, you kind of already messed this up. One of the dental procedure you had already caused you to get endocarditis which in your case is very dangerous, it's a life threatening condition when you get it because of a dental procedure.

Now you need to check your treatment options. You need to see this with your vet as soon as possible. And no more any dental procedures. You already made your situation pretty bad, you don't want it to get any worse. Be smarter this time, okay?

Hello everyone,

They are all right, Health n Joy, you shouldn't have any dental procedures done when you have heart murmur. I'm sorry that you had to find this out in a bad way, but at least you know now. Now that you got endocarditis, it's still not smart to have dental procedures done because you can make your condition even more worse, and it is pretty bad already.

Endocarditis is not something to play with and you need to consult your doctor about the proper treatment as fast as possible. None of us wants to scare you, but it is a life threatening condition.

Hello everyone.

I am pretty sure that we already were discussing about this issue. And I think that we all agreed with one thing – you should not do any dental work if you are dealing with heart murmur symptoms. I was talking about this issue with my doctor a long time ago and he told me that this is very dangerous. You need to consult with several doctors and several dentists because of this. But I would not do this at all. Trust me it is really dangerous and it can cause something that you really don’t want.

Have a nice day

You should not do this. Other explained to you, but I would also like to tell you that infective endocarditis is an infection that can cause serious damage to your heart valves and it also can cause other serious complications if you don’t treat it very quickly with antibiotics.

If you are at increased risk of this infection, you need to consult your doctor and tell him what symptoms you are having. As soon as you diagnose it, it would be much easier to treat it.

But when you have chance to avoid this, do it. So, avoid dental work. That is my advice.

Good day folks. Endocarditis is a rare, but life –threatening inflammation of the lining of the heart muscle and its valves. It is caused by a bacterial infection. The main problem is that you need to take some medications while you have dental work and it can be bad for your heart. I believe that my doctor told me this once because my friend had problems with it.

I think that doing any kind of dental procedure is a little bit risky if you are heaving heart murmur. You need to be extremely careful… I don’t know what else to tell you.