Hello everyone,

A close friend of mine is scared that he might have cardiac syndrome X. I have no idea how did this cross his mind but he wants to do the ECG test in order to see if he has this condition or not. I'm not sure whether this test can show if he has cardiac syndrome x and neither is he so I wanted to ask you if any of you know if this condition can be seen on ECG?

I also want to know how painful this condition is. If he happens to have it, I want to know how is he going to feel.

Hey Adria,

Although cardiac syndrome X is a type of angina which are normally diagnosed by doing an ECG, it is not the case with cardiac syndrome X. When it comes to people with this condition, the ECG gives normal results. However, it is still often used even with these people but in a different way. The person will have ECG done while he is exercising (which is also called a stress test) and then the ECG might show a pattern that is connected to CSX, so it would help to make a diagnosis.

I'm not sure about how painful this is but since it is a type of angina, it is definitely painful.

Hey Adria,

Well, the common symptom of angina is a pain, ache, discomfort or tightness that you feel across the front of the chest when you exert yourself. For example, when you walk up a hill or against a strong, cold wind. You may also, or just, feel the pain in your arms, jaw, neck, or stomach.

An angina pain doesn't usually last long. It usually eases within 10 minutes when you rest. Angina pain can also be triggered by other causes of a faster heart rate. If you have a vivid dream or an argument, for example.

CSX pain can be quite severe and disabling.

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies, Health n joy and Alan. I didn't know that this can cause my friend such a pain, I feel a bit sorry for him now. He did tell me about this pain of his, he really did complain about it but I didn't know that it is that strong, I thought that he was just doing it to get my attention or something like that.

Is this a life threatening thing? I know that angina isn't, so I suppose that this one isn't either. What are his options, what can he do in order to treat this?

Hello there. It depends. When it is too small, it is very hard to be seen on the ECG. If it is bigger the doctor could see it on the ECG.  When your doctor determines that you need to have ECG, it is usually not that painful because they really work on it. This is very good technique. After that, he will prescribe some medication for you. They are usually prescribed for the angina pain, including GTN spray, which widens the arteries and therefore increases the blood supply to the heart. I believe that it is good ide this ECG. Good luck.

Hi everyone. Sure! I find out that I have cardiac syndrome X accidentally, because I had to go to the ECG just to see something else. They found out that I am having it very soon and it was a little bit painful but not a lot. I remember that my doctor told me that they saw something on my heart and that this "something" is a bit small, so they are not sure what it is. One doctor told that it looks like that I am dealing with cardiac syndrome X. So, according to my experience it can be seen on the ECG and it depends is it painful or not.

Of course that it can be seen.The tests that differentiate cardiac syndrome X from CAD include a baseline electrocardiogram as we know as ECG or even the stress test, an exercise nuclear stress test, echocardiography, and coronary angiography. Of course, there are a few differences between all those tests, but I believe still that ECG test is one of the best and this is maybe the only test that I trust. My sister did this test and she told me that it is not that painful. You can feel small discomfort, but that is all. I think that it is ok.

Hey everyone. You can very easily find out do you have it or not. ECG test can only confirm it and they are pretty much useful. I would answer on your question positively - yes, cardiac syndrome X can actually be seen on ECG. You have very similar symptoms for every type of angina. That is why it is very easy to notice those symptoms. About your other question, is this painful - it depends. My friend Anna had this and she told me that she never had any kind of pain. But on the other side, my maid of honor had it as well and she was in pain...