i had no idea what else to title this.

my friend and i often discuss where the world is headed. now lets hold the debate for whether or not this is all credible because everyone is forming their own ideas (or not forming ideas..) of what they think the world could be like in 30, 50, 100 years.

things like economic collapse, crazy oil costs, global warming, floods, etc.

all things that could really change the world.

so i guess my question(s) is/are:

1) have you ever put thought into this (massive changes in the way we live)?
2) if so, would you ever consider preparing for 30 years or so off into the future if it meant a fairly significant lifestyle change?
3) what mad skillz, if any, do you have that could help you get by?
4) if you don't have any, what would you like to learn?

kind've an odd discussion i know, but i have some doubts about a certain superpower surviving a certain muli-trillion dollar debt, and other strange weather stuff.

anticipation is often the precursor to greatness... someone almost always comes ahead when there is spectacular failure/change (and all empires eventually fall).

so my answers:
1) obviously thought about it.
2) i can't decide about this. it's not that i'm blissfully unaware, i just think that i'll adapt as necessary, and i'm not entirely wanting to be an opportunist on it, so long as my would-be family is taken care of.
3) aside from propelling myself from one place to another via feet, i'm not sure if i've got anything going on here.
4) i'd like to take a survival course, and maybe some defence stuff.

*shrugs* just some thoughts for a thursday. think refugee, war, immigration, poverty, epidemic (to get you in disaster mindset).

and for the record - as unsure as i am, i do know that if the world goes to hell in a handbasket, i'll still make time for picnics.

1. Yes
2. Yes. Two possible a)Pandemic b)Civil War
3. Wilderness Survival, Self Defense and Firearms training - I think I am covered.
4. Medical Skills and medicinal plants.

That reminds me.. I gotta look thru the latest Alaskan wilderness real estate ads.

1) Yes
2) Yes. My goal is to have enough land to be self sufficient through farming, hunting, trapping, and timber and to be proficient at all of the above.
3)I'm not exceptional at anything, but I am good at logical thinking, which will get me by with my average skill levels.
4)I need to work on my bow skills, gain more experience with gardening, and learn plant uses as ranger said.

Enjoy that 3 day growing season.

1 - yes I've thought about it although I haven't lost any sleep over it.
2 - yes I'd consider it if it meant survival
3 - I could keep myself and my family fed, warm and clothed. It might not be pretty but it would get done
4 - like Ranger, my medical talents are pretty limited.

no one else touching this? :|

"every now and then you need to steal someone elses shoes"

What were you expecting? You got the 4 survivalists on the board, who else is going to reply? No one else cares. :shrug:

I doubt most people even think about this type of stuff. I don't really consider myself a survivalist - it's just that a lot of the things I like to do would help me greatly in the event of some type of disaster.

1) Yes thought about it. Actually a big fan of post apocalpytic sci fi.
2) Uh yes. Not sure I understand the question. I live in the nicely remote countryside right now-always prepared to hole up on the hilltop and stay put.
3) I can shoot a gun, which means I can learn to hunt. I can fish. I have a pond full of fish. I garden, and know have to save seeds and can start plants from seed. I have a good knowledge of herbs and reference books on herbs. I'm trained in pharmacy and have some very good first aid skills. I don't know if I could take out an appendix, but I could do some pretty good doctoring.
4) Need to learn how to hunt. Maybe this fall. Need to take the hunter safety course. I got a slug barrel for my left handed shotgun, no excuses now.