It's such a lame-o thing to b.tch about but when you've been 'violated' in some way it sure can stick with you for a while. On Friday, I ran a 5K for the final VRAA event and while on my last couple laps, 4 other runners/walkers jumped on the track. The walkers obeyed and stayed on the outside, but this couple completely blocked up the first and second lane and I was forced to have to run by them. I ended up with a good time but it soured me abit. So I ask you...were dropkicks in order? joel

Well, maybe not dropkicks, but I would've said something to them as I was running.

The first thing I would've yelled is: "Track!" since that the international symbol for get out of the first lane because I'm coming through.

If that didn't work, then I would've told them to move to the second lane so that I wouldn't run into them.

But since Im guessing that they were newbies 'Track' probably wouldn't have meant a thing to them...(I'd be better off screaming 'DEATH!' wouldn't I?)

The first time I passed them I thought 'ok, maybe I took them by surprise...'

Wouldn't you know it, the second time aroud they were about 10 meters from my finish line so I was too busy busting it to say anything as I ran past them.

If I see them again I'll kindly slap their eyebrows off for them and give em a little Track 101...

Ok... so this is what you do the next time they get in your way-- run as fast as you can towards them and scream DIARREHEA!!!! I can guarantee they will move!

HA!!!
what about 'I GOT JIMMIES!!!'

Here's how I handle that situation Shelfie. I breeze by them on the inside (yes sometimes I hit grass) but I don't give them a wide berth. After they've gotten a good whiff, and rubbed the sweat off of my elbows they usually get the hint.

I truly hate running the indoor track at the rec. It's clearly posted in signs that walkers and slower people should use the outside lanes. But when it's busy... it's impossible. It's like playing a huge game of frogger because you have to change lanes so much to avoid people. I don't see why you would walk on an indoor track anyway? Just go to the mall?

I agree except for the part about them going to the mall...they pay their dues just like I do, but they could walk in the right lane and not in huge packs!
It never fails, I start my run and am the only one on the track, then like magic, 70 walkers appear. All of them dear friends and sticking together. One day I'll make friends with the treadmill.

Repeat after me: "The treadmill is my friend, the treadmill is my friend..."

Another reason I'm glad to live in Dell Rapids, SD.
In all my trips to the track over the past 3 years, there have been a total of 1 other persons there. (and that was on only one occasion).

Of course, I go early in the am, but there are few runners period in my town, and of those who do run, most of them have too much of a self-esteem problem to step foot on a (gasp!) track.

Repeat after me: "The trail is my friend, the trail is my friend..."

I had some nitwit woman running the opposite direction on the track yesterday. And she wasn't about to move out of that first lane. I'd buzz her up close each time we passed but it didn't register with her.

If you run on the track very much at all, it is smart to go the opposite way, even half the time if you can. It's better for you ankles. She had every right to go that way. Now, I'm not sure if there is anything in the rules stating a right-of-way between the two of you. when she starts doing figure 8's, then you have reason to gripe.

Actually, rando...she doesn't have that right when there are others on the track.
She needs to move all the way to inside or outside of the track if she's going to go against traffic.

I thought that general track etiquette was that track runners run in a counterclockwise direction. I've never seen another person run clockwise in all my years.