When you go, do you research beforehand? Do you know which books you're going for? Or do you wander aimlessly through the aisles?

I usually check the online catalog to see if books are in stock and pick 2 or 3 of those. Then when I actually go to the library to get them, I wander the aisles and pick up random stuff that looks interesting.

When I'm reading reviewing journals (Booklist and PW) to choose kids books, I scan through the adult book reviews, then make a list of things I want to read based on the reviews. Every once in awhile while walking past the new book shelf something will catch my eye, but I'm usually so overwhelmed trying to read the kids books I need to read that I tend to be pretty selective about the adult stuff I read.

Although I didn't realize until now that I have a strategy, I do. I keep a little list of titles that I've heard about that seem intriguing. Sometimes from newspaper reviews, sometimes from mentions in other books (esp. NF), sometimes I peruse the bookstores, sometimes from the emails that Borders sends to me, sometimes from somewhere else online. That list usually consists of new books that require that I put myself on the waiting list... so I sign up for all of them.

I almost always also wander through the stacks of books to see what looks good. I often find things in the new non-fiction area this way.

I don't remember where my library card is. :(

They usually don't carry the martial arts books I look for anyway. But, I have scanned the online catalog recently to see what audio books and japanese language books they had.

When searching for books for the boys, I wander and do a grab-bag thing. Makes it more interesting.

I jump on the computers there to see what's available if I'm looking for something in particular.

I haven't been to the library in years.

I often reserve my books online, but will aimlessly browse the stacks from time to time. That's usually when I come back with more books than I can read. And that's when all of my reserves come in.

At TV Guide, we had BOXES of brand new ebook machines. Nobody ever wanted them. We were hard pressed to give them away.

Library, I usually reserve ahead online and go to the library to pick it up. THe books I reserve are usually recommended as something good to read. When I find an author I really like, I have wandered the stacks to find one of their books while I'm waiting on a reserve.

The girlie has started using the online card catalog to find books she's interested in as well. She LOVES the reserve option. Yesterday, we did just browse the insects section for books she wanted to read.