My mom seems to be falling asleep while doing every task, but not exactly... it will happen mid sentence, while cooking, walking up stairs, washing dishes (I one watched her literally hold on to the edge of the counter preventing herself from falling backwards for like 15 minutes... but shes like half asleep and not even acknowledging it! i tell her to go to sleep, and she is always saying she isnt tired! and then she gets mad at me... but I dont know what to do, she does this while smoking, almost burnt the house down. she does take sleeping pills, and i wonder if she is maybe mixing them up with other pills? shes also on oxycotin (or however you spell it) and other pain meds, and antidepressants and ritalin (i think for sleeping) and probably other things. She is 65, has a history of cervical cancer, heavy smoker, has degenitive disc disease (sorry for all my spelling errors) she is really thin... also has all kinds of arthritis, is probably clinically depressed, and I dont know what else. I just want to get help for her, and I am at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions? I dont even know if its actually just "falling asleep" in the sense of insomnia, it just looks like that. i know some nights she wont sleep, and others she will sleep several days straight... but she is INSISTING that she isnt falling asleep when these instances occur. Can it be related to something else?

Usually when people are usually this tired they have not gotten any physical excessive in a while therefore making everyday tasks quite difficult. Make sure she gets A Lot of water and try to build her physical activity slowly and steadily. I would still ge her checked out by the doctor to be sure. Good Luck. ~Gootze

She can be tired alot and not grtting enough rest. She can be working alot or have a sleeping disorder. That comes at any age and its something u just find out you have. Peole sleep alot and anytime witj sleeping disorder even why driving. My cousin was in Military and he was in there for 8yrs than found out the older he gotten he had it. So they let him out the military also they took his driving license from him. But just start asking your mom to laying down and take a nap with you. So she would get rest and do somethings aroind the house with her. For she would be less tired. I wish u & your mother the best of luck.