Hi all, I am 28 and my husband is 28 as well and  I'm brand new in this whole IVF thing. We’ve been TTC for more than 2 years, but only considered IVF in the last 10 months. Had my lap done and had endo (removed). Now I’m waiting for my first injection for IVF (still don't know what I'm getting tho). I know the big picture of the whole process but very unfamiliar with all the terms you all use here. I'll get there, just have to keep reading. Anyway, have any of you travelled a few days after embryo transfer? My husband and I are scheduled to travel a day after our transfer. It is a short domestic flight of approximately 2 hours. However, my RE has told me that whether I should travel is entirely my decision and it depends on how I feel on the day of my travel. Has anybody been in a similar position as I? If you have travelled what were the precautions that were taken by you? Please share your experiences with me. Or do you think this is okay or should I just cancel it (just in case) as you it’s better to be safe than sorry? Give me any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi there, this is a tough decision to make and IVF medications and procedures can From what I know, you should not travel within 24 to 48 hours after transfer. At this stage, any sort of stress (which is a part of any travel) should be avoided. Just last year, we cancelled a short trip in December as I was due for my transfer in November. I did not want to take additional pressure and anxiety in the event that this cycle did result in pregnancy. It’s your decision and it’s going to be a tough one since it’s not possible to predict outcomes from it.

I have faced a similar issue like yours once even though my travel time was about a month after my transfer. I analysed it this way. Suppose a successful transfer did not happen, then I would mentally always blame the stress or activity of travel for it. What I thought was that if I did become pregnant, would the joy be far more than the disappointment of cancelling travel plans? Of course it would! And pronto, I shelved my plans for the time. I think that you should not take a chance. If you have been trying for long for a successful transfer to take place, would it be worth it to dump all that effort. This is of course not counting any travelling that needs to be done for an urgent work. Think about it. All the best.

Hi ladies, I do not agree with you all. Hey user your RE is right it entirely depends on how you feel on the day of travel, there shouldn't be any physical reason for you to cancel your plans. That said, everyone has a comfort level of what they are comfortable doing during the two week wait. I wouldn't mind road tripping but I wouldn't go hiking, for example- more because hiking is not a normal part of my life. Someone who is more active than I am might find a hike refreshing. I, on the other hand, would be constantly worrying and sweating, and just uncomfortable. I'd be happy for the excuse to not go hiking. Similarly- I'd probably skip an airplane flight because they stress me out, not because flying in an airplane is bad- But I'd enjoy going out on my grandpa's boat on the lake and driving it way too fast. I've taken the view that if something will leave me worried that I might have compromised an early pregnancy- I might as well avoid it. I'm not skipping going to my niece's birthday party or taking my nephews to the park (although I refrain from lifting toddlers- they're heavier than my doc's lifting restrictions) but I don't go skydiving or rollercoaster riding either. So travelling is safe and it’s just a short one.

Hi there, read your post and travelling soon after the embryo transfer is not really a good option as there is risk with implantation. Some IVF patients do travel from their home quite some distance to seek treatment in a larger town or city. This type of traveling is okay, as you will need to travel back and forth between your home and treatments. Some doctors do recommend a hotel stay for a night or two immediately following each procedure. So you are thinking to yourself, after all that I have gone through I need a little time to get away. You typically will have to take bed rest for at least 1 day following your embryo transfer. Some doctors recommend up to 5 days, but the average is typically 2-3 days. Due to work schedule and or planned vacations, many women wonder if it okay to proceed with life as normal. Part of the answer is yes, you need to continue with day-to-day routines, but traveling by air or even long road trips, during this time may not be the wisest decision. Many women will find that their doctor tells them that they are free to go about and do as they wish, while others are told to refrain from flying and sitting for long periods of time. 

My physician stressed that flying does not influence the implantation process. If some physicians order bed rest for days after transfer but say sitting for long periods is bad, it doesn`t make sense.