Hi everyone, I sometimes get a hypo reading before a meal and I'm rather confused about that. Yesterday before lunch I had a hypo reading of 3.4. You know, I really wasn't hungry at that point but I ate something anyway. What I'm confused about is whether I should take Novorapid. Well, I didn't because I thought that wouldn't be a good idea. Did I do the right thing. When I measured my blood sugar levels afterwards, it wasn't bad. But I'm still not sure what I should have done. Can someone help me with this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I don't know how long you have been taking Novorapid but there are certain things you need to do before every meal that you have. One of this things is to know your insulin-carb ratios and sensitivity values. When you know this you should be able to have good blood sugar control. You should already have a basal dosage that you work from. Just as you did, you measured your blood glucose and found out that it was low. If it had been too high, you want to bring you blood glucose levels down around the 6 range. Before you eat, figure out the carbs for your next meal and that will determine whether you need to take your Novorapid. Apparently, you did fine for this time in terms of the amount and type of food you ate. So you're okay. Try to relax. It sounds like you know what you're doing, you just need to believe in yourself. Keep in mind, if you decide to exercise after your meal, you'll need to make adjustments for that. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I had many questions and I thought I would never get the hang of it. But, with a little time and practice it wasn't so bad. Now I'm comfortable with everything. It's just like second nature.