Who else gets this pre-pre-race? I'm racing on Saturday and I'm already nervous about it.

I think that's one of the major reasons that I don't race much. Too much self-imposed pressure to perform well.

I get this in a mild form. I find myself trying to justify doing poorly on the upcoming race. That way I won't let myself down if I don't perform as well as I should. This usually starts 2-3 days before a race.

Right before a race and for the first mile (until I find my grove) I absolutely hate racing and I tell myself I will not do it anymore.

I think that anxiety helps to drive me though.

I get some. I have always had test anxiety so I have had practice trying to relax and since I only have my goal times to worry about not placing it is easier.

PH: Good luck!!! :thumbsup: :D 8)

My first 2 races I was perfectly fine. Just a bit nervous. Then, I raced poorly 2xs, meaning I was doing better in training than in the race. For the last race, I was so nervous that I'd have another race that I didn't feel I ran well. I couldn't seem to control my breathing during the race, and I think it can be attributed to my nerves. I know what you mean about self-imposed pressure to race well...you're probably a perfectionist too.

If you ever have any questions or just want to talk about anticipatory anxiety, I'm your man.

The only time I got antsy was prior to my marathon. Since I don't race that much, I look forward to racing

I get antsy before the race because I want it just to start. Before my big runs (marathons) I usually do not sleep well because only I work so hard with all the training.

So yeah a little bit for me.

I get more excited before my races than anxious. I'm excited that I FINALLY get to put it all together. All those months of running in the nasty weather (think very hot and very humid), in the dark (think cars and people jumping out), going to bed early, sacrificing what little life I do have. NOW it's all here! THIS is what all that stuff was for! Can't wait!