Do you do this? Positive imaging before a big race? Do you believe it works? For me I believe in it. Maybe just to calm me down a bit or to get focused. Before a big race or even before a long run I try to imagine how I'll feel. How my body feels, how strong I am. I imagine different points during a race feeling good, my breathing, the way I hold my body. It helps if you've been on the course so you can imagine the actual scenery. Imagining the crowds, smiling, feeling strong, crossing the finish line. It helped me for my first marathon and the Ironman. I've started doing it already for the Disney marathon and that isn't until 1/12. I'm a freak but it's just part of my routine.

I'd agree...whether you call it imagery or strategy, having an idea in your head how the race will unfold is important. For me, it's more a battle with my watch. I've come to know oh so well how I feel after 30-minutes of racing or after 60-minutes of racing or after 90-minutes of racing and those points in between. It's almost a conscious clock ticking with each stride. In the training leading up to a race, I get accustomed to my projected pace and through the race I keep mental tabs on staying in that groove. And with races I've done before, yeah there's plenty of visual clues I can grab on to, but to me it's more about the numbers...just a 30-minute tempo to go.. just a 20-minute tempo to go.. just a 10-minute hard run to go.. 4-minutes with the pedal to the floor. I've got a number head :shrug:

positive imaging is a very good thing in many aspects of life.

:thumbsup:

I did that at my last duathlon to help calm my nerves. Just pictured myself running, then riding and then running again and feeling positive about it the whole way. Seemed to work pretty well.

I've got a book at home about techniques on mental imaging that I need to read again. It does a good job over helping me overcome my mental hurdles.

what's the name of the book? I've been trying to find one by Joanne Dahlkhoosomething---it's for people with negative attitudes about their abilities. Now that I thought of it I might search Amazon

what's the name of the book?
The Mental Edge - Kenneth Baum

I know I need a few lessons on Positive Imaging myself. I have avoided racing and competition far too long due to my lack of confidence. I guess that's why I spend months/years preparing for anything I do so I can be as prepared as I can ever be. Positive Imaging= Big.Fat.Thing.To.Do.YES! I'll have to check into that book.