Keep in mind, folks, that "genie" and "fast" are relative terms that don't always match well, but.....

I have the old sprinters' habit of starting out way too fast and, especially when just coming back from a long layoff like this one, pooping out way before I should. My second mile usually really sucks. Any tips as to how not to do that? I do it in training runs as well as races, so it's not just the excitement of the gun. It's really annoying....although I always like reading that first mile split ;)

I've tried putting slower music in my MP3 player, and even (gasp) starting out walking and breaking into a run, but nothing works. Suggestions?

HRM :wiggle:

For races, start in the back. Everyone goes out way to fast. At the 1/2 I pased 100's of people in the first 3 miles.

Oh, trust me, I DO start in the back ;)
Yeah, that downhill start is a beeyotch, I think I ran my fastest first mile ever at that sucker. Too bad I couldn't hold the pace for the rest of it.
But you know what I mean, you've run with me before. That's why I c**p out so early. :?

I have a running buddy that does all his runs with "one mile more'. His routine is to go run one mile. Then he comes back to the fitness center, does a pitstop possibly and spends 5-minutes getting stretched out. If you're a runner that incorporates a stretch routine, perhaps this is the way to do it. Get that one-mile blast out of the way. Stop for a breather, stretch out, take a sportsdrink swig, whatever it takes to mentally detach that one-miler from the actual "run". Then head out on your scheduled run and in your log, it'll always be "+1". A good way to log some extra miles and also a good way to get that head of steam blown off without sabotaging the whole training run. :twocents:

In the short term, always going out too fast is both a painful way to run, and not helpful on your finishing time (training and racing). In the long term, however, it might not be that bad. It makes you a tougher runner, and as you progress you should be able to keep hanging on a little longer. At some point you may go out fast and just keep going.

It isn't really a pleasant way to do every run, and probably not the best way, but it can work. It is better than never pushing your at all, and it was something that worked for me (in racing, not really training) when I was first starting.

Boy it is odd to see someone quoting you in their signature...

Didn't realize you were so quotable, didya? :o

This used to be a big problem of mine, too.

Basically, I now try not to put much of any stock in my first mile, unless it's too fast. I look at my watch, and if I'm going to fast the first mile, I'm usually in for trouble.

jrjo's buddy has a great idea, that would be perfect for me, if I had time for it. But, I generally don't. I just kinda loaf it for the first mile, and then try to hit my pace after that. It's kinda of a warm-up, just included in my workout.

You mean like this... :snickersnicker: Sorry for the hijack here.

Nolely, you are too funny...

Like you, fast is a relative term, and I have had the same problems. (which is why miles 13-26 were during stupid marathon #2) I have started using a HRM, and that helps some, just because it gives me a number to concentrate on and I can see I'm too fast. (otherwise, I find the thing useless for racing) I've also started doing a longer warm up before a race, which seems to take off some of the energy.

If you find a good solution, let us know! Soon, you and I will be winning our age group.

I really like the "blow it all out on the warmup" idea, I think I'm going to try that tomorrow on my longer run. I used to be very in line with Coach Craig's thinking, that if I kept pushing myself I'd eventually make myself able to hold the faster paces for longer distances, but when you're as slow as I am that's really long in coming and you meet with a LOT of frustration along the way. I beat the living sh*t out of myself mentally when I run, unless I am not running with a watch or training for anything, which is part of the reason I stopped racing. It's not like I was ever fast enough to place or anything, unless it was a very small Clydesdale bracket anyway. :?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll let you know after tomorrow's run how it goes....today's will probably just be a little shortie since I pushed it way too far on Wednesday and have had really sore legs for the past two days.

Be "mindful" about every step, especially in the first half. Discipline yourself like you do to go out there fast in the first place. You're saving it to blast thru that dreaded wall, Picture yourself not experiencing that anymore because of this strategy. Find folks in the back to pace with and push back the pride that leads to power failure. The folks in the back that normally pass you up are your friends.

In shorter races like a 5k, I try purposely to do the first mile slower. Negative splits in a 5 k I always try for.

It helps have a hrm to keep the hr in check.