Gotta a couple opportunities next week if I shuffle things I could probably fit into my schedule. One is a "fun run". Totally for charity..$15 entry with no timing, no places, no shirt, just a route and a pat on the back. And the other is a club trail run which is $1, but part of a series out of town that I'm not running all the other races, so placing and such is out of the question since the individual races are only part and parcel.

Do any of you run "races that aren't races"? Or do you subsribe to "if I'm going to give you monies out of my make-myself-rich fund, there better be eats, treats and the all important dayglo green t-shirt"?

I'll race on any course that I have a chance at setting a PR.

I always race for the fub of it. The shirt was a bonus

Greg and I have done a race in his hometown for many years. The same 50 people do the race every year. It is only 10 bucks if you want a shirt, other wise it is free. They even have medals but it is part of the 4th of July celebration. I pay for a shirt only because the town benefits out of it.

tomorrow I will plop down a $30 for a race that I will run fast for 1/2 of it and jog the second half. Of course the tshirt was voted last year's RW best---and did I mention a massage!!!!!! If I were willing to wear a cheese wedge on my head, I would get a cup or something.....but I do draw the line somewhere (actually, I just haven't figured out how you keep the wedge on your head).

hmmmm... now that I think about there is a definite possibility that I can get a new PW at this distance :wiggle:

Terry Fox Run is one... I ran it last year and timed myself. There were no chips or timers but the nice thing was that it had 1 km markers all along the course (it's a 10 k) and it's free (except for pledges).

When you're as slow as I am, the t-shirt becomes very important!

Actually, I've never run a race, or have seen one, like you all describe. If it was for a cause I cared about, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

RunaroundSue...I bet duct tape would hold that cheese wedge on. I may even have some aerodynamic effect to make you even faster...

i was actually planning on a 9 miler non-race this fall in shanksville, PA in honor of Flight 93. no times taken, no medals, no PA system, just a Tshirt and he will have a clock there for you own personal time. the course goes somewhat around the secured crash site.

lots of walkers, lots of joggers, some serious runners.

all $$ goes to their little fire department :thumbsup:

I love racing (or my slow facsimile of it). It helps me keep up with my training (can't slack if you have a race in a few weeks!) and gives me truly measurable benchmarks. I really despise speedwork, but getting a T-shirt at a 5K for my efforts makes it bearable. To truly answer your question, I am a racing fiend. This year I have completed 17 races and have another 7 more to go. The only ones I was truly hell bent on "racing", where if I didn't meet my goals I'd be really upset? Only two: Broad Street in May, and PDR tomorrow. All others, including the marathon and a boatload of charity events, get my best effort but if I fell/fall short of my goals, I can shake off the disappointment pretty quickly.