i am a 24 year old female. i was just noticing over the past couple of days that my fingertips are sore. now they are red and swollen and are very warm on the tips.i also feel some tingling every now and then. can you tell me why?

Hello! During one of my herpes outbreaks I noticed that my fingertips had swollen and became red and sore. I couldn’t realize what it was, so I went to a doctor the following day. He told me that I must have touched my mouth, or put my fingers in the mouth and that the virus had spread to my fingertips. That was the reason they were all swollen and red.

I don’t know what it could be in your case but I reckon you should see a doc if this discomfort didn’t fade away. I know that tingling feeling as well as the numbness or loss of feeling in specific areas can indicate a nervous system disorder.

did you get an answer to your question abut your fingertips?

During the past EIGHTEEN years I have learned about something in our food supply (even in shampoos, detergents, conditioners, vitamins, Rx, and OTC meds) that causes some nerve cells to be over stimulated...even to the point of destruction. All food has protein and all protein contains glutamic acid...this is not the problem...the food industry makes ingredients that create a MANUFACTURED glutamic acid that can cause a multitude of problems. I use to get migraine headaches so bad I would vomit. As I weeded the stuff out of my diet my headaches ceased but now I have learned it can accumulate in the body and when I have reached my limit my fingers get very sore and split.

i have the same thing! middle finger ahaha right hand.. :-( i cant right it is VERY HOT its like my fingertip has a fever , it feels like it is bruised but it is not :-(

I've had the same issue and done a lot of research on line - my swelling, etc is in the top section of my middle finger and then my entire pinky finger (so far - it started a couple days ago with my pinky and then the middle finger started today).

Another message board suggested chilblains. Based on the picture/information on that condition, I think that's probably what I have.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure what problem you might be having, but I use a liquid skin type product called Rock-Tips for my sensitive finger tips. It's sold to musicians for dealing with finger tip pain and calluses. Great stuff and it's way tougher than a liquid bandage. It will totally seal your finger tips up and protect them. Stays on for 4 or 5 days at a time. 1 bottle lasts me about 6 months.

No.

My problem started about a month ago. My husband passed away in January and I took care of him with some help. At first one of my fingers on each hand began swelling and now all of them are swollen and my palm hurts - sometimes a sharp pain in the middle of my right palm or along the outside of my palm. They would get stiff in the morning and by afternoon I would be okay, but now I can't make a fist because of the stiffness and pain, sore to the touch. I have been told it's because of the grief in losing my husband and it does seem neurological but I am limited in dressing myself, opening up jars, car doors, doorknobs, combing my hair. I know it could be worse as I am still able to cook and clean. But it takes me 15 minutes to get dressed whereas before I could be out of the house in l5 minutes.

I am almost 84, go to exercise three times a week, Bible Study on Thursdays and generally keep busy for the most part.

I forgot to mention that my husband was bed-ridden for two years and disabled but walking prior to breaking his hip two years ago. I was his primary care-giver and was in perfect health. Still am, except for the problem with my fingers and palms.

Any suggestions???

I've had similar symptoms as well and I believe its all a mild case of frostbite that causes swelling, pulsates, and gives a tingling feeling. If your finger is red and stiff then it probably is frostbite.

I had the same thing slowly start happening to my fingers. Then eventually in the cold temperatures (don't know if this happens to you) my finger would lose blood circulation and turn white. My doctor diagnosed it as Raynaud's Phenomenon. You should look into it because it can be brought on by stress (which it sounds like with your husband you have had plenty of) or extreme coldness (if it happens more in the winter?).

I had the same thing and still do from time to time.  I find that the more water I drink the better it is.  I am an old lady and sometimes forget to drink my 32 oz a day and sometimes more.  The more the better.

To whom it may concern,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

OK, my fingertip on my right hand was swelling up today! I decided to Google it and I found this thread. Then I started to remember something in a natural remedy book I once read. This is the same thing that people get on their big toes, it's called and ingrown-toenail. Yes, you can get them on your fingers. Ok, back to the remedy, it says, to stop cutting the sides of the nail; cut the very middle instead, preferably in a triangle, with the point of the triangle pointing at your knuckle. Fingernails are similar to scars; they grow back thicker, stronger and fill up lost area. Thus making your nail grow Sid-ways into your skin, then swelling accurse, doctor bills arise and now you hate your fat finger that you keep cutting. Honestly, after I cut the triangle out, if feels amazing!!! Sorry for those of you who had suffered all of this time... :-( When I get my Bachelors’, I'll bring out my own cure; Cold-Sores, STAY-GONE! That's in three years un-less you know a medical company that is willing to PAY$$$$$.... In addition I do believe I recently discovered why people have Diabetes, I'll just say this according to my observation it's not a disease... Fare well!!!

Former Marine Guy!

way to go!!! some people!!!

If the soreness, redness, and swelling are temporary and/or sporadic, it sounds like it might be a problem with circulation. Similar to the effect of hanging upside down, the blood might be rushing to your fingertips and causing the same effects one would feel in his or her head, but the finger version (id est: redness in the face, redness in the fingers; headache and throbbing, throbbing or swelling in fingers). Especially as you age, circulation may be more of a problem. If you don't believe me on this, just try spinning around in a circle with your arms out and your hands limp. You'll start to feel the centripetal force pulling the blood to your fingertips.

Simone, I have had the exact same symptoms as you since I was a little girl. It started when I was about 8 or 9 years old. It happens infrequently. Now I have discovered my 8 year old son is also complaining of the same symptoms. His fingertips will become visibly swollen and purplish in color, he says it burns and he feels tingling, he also feels a burning and tingling on the bottoms of his feet too mostly on periods of time when he has to sit for longer than 30 minutes. No one can diagnose whats wrong because by the time we get to the emergency room or Dr's office, the symptoms subside. I hope you can find an answer for yourself and share it with me. I cannot bear my son to experience this pain as I have all my life with no answers and no relief. It gets more intense the older I get and is happening more frequently.