Hello.

A few days ago, I have been experiencing peeling around my fingertips. It begins with the top layer of skin around a fingertip loosening into a white air-bubble. Then the skin starts peeling away. The process does not itch, cause pain, show redness/swelling, or leak pus. The skin just peals away. The skin underneath looks like normal skin, but is slightly more sensitive to touch than normal, but that may be because I play the piano.

I clip the margins of the air-bubble, but the next day, more skin has loosened.

I have noticed that the white air-bubbles tend to form after I have washed the dishes or otherwise gotten my hands wet. Could this be the source of the problem?

I tried to slow the extent of the peeling by applying a moisturizer; however, this has not worked.

Does anyone with a similar problem have any ideas?
Please limit posts to problems that fit criteria {peeling without itchiness, pain, redness/swelling, or pus}.

Thanks in advance!

The peeling of the skin at your fingertips is probably harmless. I agree that the detergent may have something to do with it. There are gloves for washing dishes.

I never do washing up, and i've just found the exact same thing starting to occur, its been going on a couple of weeks, i thought it was just that i'd been working, then took some time off and my fingers were starting to "recover" but its just kept going. its now spread to all the fingertips. They're not at all painful, its just all a little odd so i thought i'd search the internet for an explanation

hi ,
my name is sam and i have been having the same problem, and it seems to be progressing up the sides of my fingers towards my hand. i am really looking foward to an answer. my wife has been looking around for me and she thinks it is a vitamin A deficiancy. but when we look at my diet we see that my daily intake of vitamin A is right where it should be, you all may have better luck
hope we find an answer

I have had this problem for a while now. I had it when I was younger and it just reappeared in the last few months. I get weird bumps on my fingers and then they start peeling. My dad thought it may be connected with my playing the piano, I thought it may be weather related. I can't tell and I would love an answer.

Hey, I've had this too, but mostly with my feet. Happens about twice a year or so. I thought it was Athlete's Foot, so I tried treating it, but it never worked. This last time, I just ignored it to see if it would heal on its own, and it does, which means it's not athlete's foot. I talked with my roommate (I'm in college) and she said she has the same problem once in a while. Her doctor said it may be a form of psoriasis, and though I still need to ask my doc, that's the best choice I've found yet. Hope this helps you guys.

I have the same thing, but my problem is I only have it in the spring and summer, but mine spreads down my fingers and now for the first time I see a couple of the little white dry spots at the base of my thumb and am getting nervous it will spread beyond my hands. I thought maybe it was from picking up branches in the summer before I mow, BUT I've done none of that this year. It will happen for 3 or 4 weeks, be fine for 2 or 3 weeks, then start again, then doesn't happen fall and winter. No itching or redness. It's driving me crazy. I just realized the only thing I do in the spring and summer that I don't do other times of the year is open the windows much more often. Maybe I'll wear gloves when I do that and see if I notice a difference. My doctor has only said he has no idea and not been very concerned.

Its called Exfoliative Keratolysis. I have it and there is no cure but if you look it up there are some things you can do to keep it under control.

Hi

I have had this problem for about 4 years now. The problem is just on two fingers - forefinger of my left hand and middle finger of my right hand ... just these two fingers which is strange! My palms are not affected at all - just two random fingers!!!

The process is the same - itchy fingertips which then develop into tiny blisters, skin thickens and eventually peels off starting under the tip of my fingernail. Sometimes the exposed skin underneath is sore. It all stops for about a month then the process starts all over again! One thing which is slightly different to others is that the fingernails on these fingers are now dry, brittle and rough. The nails grow very quickly and are now ridged.  I can't even have a manicure as I am so embarrassed by them. 

I have read all the above posts ... I don't play any musical instruments, I am a 55 year old grandmother who has been through the menopause. I garden but use gloves - same with washing up or any other household chore - always wear Marigolds. I can't blame the weather as I live in the UK (I rest my case!)

I now use an almond-oil based hand cream which helps with the moisturising - especially at night when I slap it on and wear cotton gloves in bed. GP has prescribed steroid cream for the itching which helps but nothing else.

I have taken on board everything which has been written previous but no one seems to mention the nail problem ... any thoughts?

Cheers me dears!

I work in a factory and wear gloves constantly and I have the same problem. I think it's because there's too much moisture and not enough air circulation for long periods of time cuz when my hands are dry I don't have the problem.

Of course 100 people have it and no one answers the question.

I don't know about you guys but Exfoliative Keratolysis definitely sounds like it to me, or it fits what I have at least:

***edited by moderator***web adresses not allowed***

It seems like time is about the only thing that will fix it...

My son had same problem. He plays trumpet, piano and guitar. Tried resting from each...did not resolve. the palms of his hands have always been sweaty. So i noticed he is always drying hands on jeans. So we were using Tide. For his clothes, i changed to mild detergent, and no more problems since i changed. That his been a little over a year.

Hope this helps:)

I have been experiencing what you have described only on my right had for the past 2 yrs. It started after I had Mohs surgery for skin cancer on the top of my right hand. I have tried ever cream you can think of and nothing makes a difference. It is very frustrating. However, I do not notice any difference with water, gloves, etc.

I have the same problem and it is very painful at times because the new skin underneath is so sensitive. I have severe osteoarthritis in my hands and was wondering is this had anything to do with the peeling finger tips. I have tried all kinds of lotions and creams. It only helps as long as its on there. So tired of the never ending cycle.