Hi, my skin started peeling off my fingertips two weeks ago, and I still didn’t manage to make it stop. I used oily capsules of vitamin E and some medicine creams, but nothing helped me. What is causing this condition, and what can I do to reduce the peeling?

Maybe you have eczema. This condition often causes skin peeling on different parts of the body. There are many possible causes, and one of them is stress. Besides peeling, symptoms of eczema are hard, dead-looking skin, which can sometimes change the color, and be pale or flushed. However, skin peeling can have different causes. Skin peeling can be caused by lack of vitamins E and C, but usually it doesn’t last that long. It can also be a result of long exposure to water. You should consult a dermatologist, and have a blood test. You could also try using some lotion or medicine cream.

I have this same problem with my fingers peeling, cracking, flaking, and splitting open. It started on my right thumb and recently spread to my right pointer finger. It has not gone away/healed since it started approx. 3 mos. ago. I never had any problems before this.

It is really odd that a lot of people are mentioning nickel. I have been having a problem for the past year or two where my stomach breaks out in a itchy rash too. I recently discovered the cause is a specific belt I wear or jeans where the back of the button touches my skin. The rash occurs that same day and lasts for a week. I'm now wondering if they are linked.

I have noticed people are saying it starts with these same fingers. Has anyone thought the culprits could be writing/eating utencils or even coins?? They all contain metal and are used by these same fingers. Also I have a metal soap dispenser where the soap is now discolored and has a metallic smell. It's going in the trash today!

I am definitely trying the capsules of fish oil and capsules of black currant seeds oil since it seems to be doing the trick. I am sick of wearing bandaids and trying to keep my fingers moisturized.

I have acrylic nails and so I got a fungus under one nail on my right thumb. Then the peeling started around the thumb. It moved to the index finger and then generally my cuticles began peeling on all the right hand.

It did eventually moved to the left hand also.

If I tried to trim off the dry skin etc, it made it worse as it built up hard callus's. So I started looking for something that would keep my cuticles moist. Most cuticle creams have Vitamin E which I am allergic to. I found Solar Oil, but found it contained Vitamin E.

I tried Tea Tree Oil also. THAT stung and didnt help. I also found that its poisonous to dogs and cats. So If they got it on their fur from me touching them I would be harming them.

What I have found which seems to keep the cuticles moist for me is OPI Avoplex Nail & Cuticle Replenishing Oil. Its about $6 for 2.5 oz. It smells good also. Contains nothing to harm my animals either. Its helping the peeling. But I havent stopped the condition entirely. I was using the Sally Hansen Hands, Nails & Cuticle Creme and a while later my hands started the peeling. I also use a hand cream Flexitol for very dry skin. I get it at Walgren's. I just discovered that it does have Vitamin E, and this is why I suspect my hands wont intirely heal.

btw I also have had cracked heels, but I use a wet pumice stone and liquid soap in the shower daily and this keeps them awesome. My manicurist was the one who told me to do this and it works.

I am allergic to stainless steel if that strikes any chords

I have been reading with interest the articles on faulty fingers. My fingers have been peeling, splitting and very painful for past four/five years. Dr. gave me prescriptions, specialist gave me prescriptions and all told me to also use hand creams. The problem stopped two years ago but started again almost exactly a year later. I tried every hand cream that might promise relief, creams I heard about over the internet, radio or TV. Some would ease it for a couple of days and then it would start again. Last week I read on this forum about the Black Current Seed Oil and thought I'd nothing to lose. I started Friday and today, Tuesday morning, my fingers are not sore or split. There is still a little hard skin but nothing like before. I'm hoping, I'm praying that my problem is over. I will keep you posted. :-D

I just bought some of the black currant oil and giving it a go.

But I thought I would share this product with you. I have been trying to find a hand creme that doesnt have any Vitamin E in it and is made for dry cracked peeling hands.

Came across this one: ***

I emailed her asking her about whats it in and I have ordered some of the samples first.

Soy Wax
Shea Butter
Hemp Seed Oil
Coconut oil
Essential Oils

Kinda a neat idea to be able to order samples and not waste a whole jar of something. The cost is for shipping so is cheap I say.

Thought I would pass this one on and it might do someone else some good too.

Cameron

Wow. This is exactly what I've been experiencing for several years. I was a mechanic, and thought it was the chemicals I was around. I became a pilot and it went away for over a year. Now it's back, and it's not because of any exposure to chemicals.

Both thumbs and forefingers cycle through dry skin, peeling and then cracking. New skin forms, it heals for a short time and repeats.

I'm tired of the pain. The oil mentioned before is interesting.

Ronin

Wow, sounds just like what I have experienced. My thumbs and forefingers are going through a cycle over and over again, and it's lasted for years. The skin becomes tough, dry and then starts to peel. After that, it starts to crack. New skin comes up, and it starts all over again.

It cleared up for a year, then came back last year. Nothing really fixes it, but Diprolene seemed to help squash an outbreak for a while.

I'll try this Black Currant Seed Oil.

Anyone have any luck breaking this cycle?

Thanks,

Ronin

I just wanted to give some advice to those who have posted on this board about peeling fingertips. I've had the same symptoms for a couple of years. I've gone to numerous dermatologists and no one seems to know how to cure it. I've tried all sorts of medications, none that worked until I recently tried Ultravate. It's a strong steriod. The generic name is Halobetasol Propionate. I start using it as soon as my fingertips start peeling and it usually helps. It doesn't cure the problem but it significantly reduces the peeling and the redness. I must have tried 6 different medicines and gone to 5 different dermatologist and nothing helped until I started using Ultravate. Hope this helps others. Please post if you start using it and it helps.

I have the same problem, but in addition to stress I notice that cold dry winter air can trigger it and make an outbreak much worse, in just a few hours. Oddly, it tends to hit the same area on each hand at the same time, in a kind of symmetry. I have found some relief from Kiehl's "Intensive Treatment for Dry or Callused areas," applied under band aid, but it really just slows it down a little. I will try the black currant seed oil, but I want to be clear on this: do you swallow it or apply to affected area?

I had this happen once my first year in college, but not severe. I'm now 49 and feel a little stress, teens, and hormonal, menapause. It might be stress, hormones, or hereditary. My brother complains of his hands doing the same thing. My youngest, 15, has skin on his hands flake off when he gets stressed (a few times and not for long). My brother is older and works with chemicals and sometimes the peeling and cracking is severe. I recently got poison ivy and have had this happening to me for the past six weeks. I don't know if it is the poison ivy, which seems cleared-up, but my fingers continue to peel, stress, hormone shifts, or heredity factors. Perhaps a mix. I read one post that black current seed oil helps. Going to try it. Right now, my fingers are peeling again and splitting.

:) I have been experiencing this same problem for a few months and since I live in warm area, it seems to be brought on by stress. I use Neoporin Cream under bandaids but will try the the suggestions here. I'm just so glad to find this blog! I thought I was so strange. ThAnks for all your answers.

Hi all

I have been really stressed and had a stomach bug etc. But three days ago my hands started peeling and so did my toes. It has spread to the palms of my hands, They are not cracked or painful just look terrible.

I do a lot of model building and one thing I've noticed is when I do a lot of cutting the pressure I put on the blade cuts the blood flow to my fingertips. My finger tips are usually numb for a few hours and then a week or so later peel several layers of skin.

I have the same thing everyone here has. It's been really bad this year and as of right now they my finger tips are drying, cracking and peeling. The pain caused by the cracking is the worst.

I'm not even going to waste my time going to the Dermatologist. I am going to get some of the black current seed oil & see if that helps. I wore artificial nails for a looooooooong time and then out of the bule became allergic to acrylic. Once you become allergic, you're allergic for life. So, no more fake nails for me. I had a few fungus outbreaks over the years due to the nails, and would take them off and cure the fungus. So, with that said, my problem might very well be a fungus, or just contact dermatitis that I'll have for life now, due to the nails. ??

What's interesting though is that if I'm at work & my fingers hurt bad, I'll put on some antiobotic ointment from our first aid and then a bandaid and by the time I get home, my finger tip is a LOT better. ???

For all of us who are going to try the black current seed oil, plase post back & let us know if it helped.