For the past year I've had a problem with the sides of my fingertips (on every finger) where the nail ends (no problems with the nails) & it seems to be getting worse. They are very dry, a little hard to the touch, they are also split & peeling a little (but only in that area, not down the fingers like some others have written & no bleeding). My fingertips are very painful & feel tight plus there are times where the entire tip of my finger looks puckered like I stayed in the water too long. I've seen several dermatologist & they are stumped. They've put me on anti-fungal as well as steroid creams & ointments with no success. I also moisturize throughout the day & wear white cotton moisturizing gloves to bed every night with moisturizer for severely dry, cracked skin. They also tried another cream to soften up the skin, again with no success. I am a nurse & work in a PCP's office where I do wash my hands several times a day as I've been doing for the past 15 years. Always with warm water (not hot) & hand soap that is not antibacterial. Thinking this might be an allergic reaction, I was told to try different soaps, gloves, etc. each week which lead to no improvement either. If anyone has any idea what this is or what I can use to get rid of it, PLEASE let me know.

hey! did you ever get a reply or find out the cause of this???

I am having the same problem. I also wash my hands several times a day, and have been for years and this has never happened before. Does anyone know what's going on? I would love some info; this condition is driving me nuts, I need some answers!

Are you taking any medications? I am wondering if this could be the cause of my symptoms.

I get dry fingers too. when the skin cracks where the nail meets the finger, I put crazy glue on the crack and it stops the pain and allows it to heal. It won't hurt you. Doctors use glue in surgeries all the time.

Now what about dry lips that split in the corner? I don't think I had better try the glue there, but I might if it gets any worse.
I've been told it can be a B2 deficiency and possibly iron. Anybody know? I've had this since winter started. :'(

DawnAmi wrote:

I also suffer with splitting thumb and finger on right hand only; skin is very tight - seems too tight - any pressure like trying to flip open a yoghurt lid for goodness sake causes a split. I can hardly use my forefinger and thumb and as I am a typist, this is painful.

I have tried every cream and ointment known to man including cortisone creams to no avail.

Perhaps its a medicine that is drawing water out of the cells - like lipitor - but why just the right hand - the hand that I use for everything.

Any ideas anyone? This just started recently, this past winter and I've never had it before.

anonymous wrote:

%-) well :-D ..go to the chemist and get yourself some pure lanoline cream.I suffer from split skin also,yes right on the corner of the thumb and it is a pain,but the good old lanoline is the best,or some thing that has a lot of lanoline in it does work...i found it by accident,my thumbs were so sore that i scratched around in the glovebox of the car and found some sun block which later when discovering that it worked wonders,i read the ingredients and it was mainly lanoline cream,so i purchased a tube and "womma" yes its great stuff.Actually my mum used it years ago to treat nappie rash on my younger sister,and of course it was great mind over matter treatment too if we had a minor abrasion mum would fix it with a smsll dob of lanoline cream ...But back to the present ,it truly does work for me and my split thumb ends, hope it works for you too.Cheers,Charlie. ;-)

Very painful! The best thing I've found is a good glob of triple antibiotic ointment and a fairly tight fabric bandaid. Overnight is best, but if it's not enough, all day too.

I have the same problem... I am a bartender so my hands are always in water washing dishes and my middle finger on each hand has been getting very dry and cracking really bad. I just put a band aid on my finger with vaseline on it and it seems to work wonders! Vaseline traps in moisture so if you can, keep it with you and apply it throughout the day, then at night, if you can, put some on and cover it with a band aid or use moisturizing gloves. Hope this helps! :-)

I have a friend who is a nurse and experiences this, it seems to be after constant use of the sanitising liquid that is now in most hospitals. Rinsing with water after using seems to help.

I seem to have the same problem and have had peeling fingertips and sides of fingers on one hand only for the past two years. Dry layers of hard skin and then painful cracks form. I've tried every corticosteroid cream but nothing has helped. In the meantime I try to always keep my fingers moisturized as much as possible. Then I decided to Google "Atopic Dermatitis" and it took me to the Wikipedia link. Lo and behold, there was a picture of someone's hand with the same problem.
I am now waiting to visit a dermatologist to get UV Therapy to clear it up completely. The cause may be an allergy to dust and/or pet hair so I will be asking them to do an allergy test too.
I will re post after I've had the treatment.

Still no luck.............waiting to hear how you go............good luck

It's probably due to washing hands with cheap soap(like soap at offices/public places) without using moisturizer.
I've been getting splits in the skin around my right thumb as well. I do also use that thumb a lot for using the touchpad on my laptop. With the cheap soap at my new office and friction from computer use, skin ripping. Vaseline people! Vaseline!

Ok,first of all it has NOTHING to do with the soap u use! If it is the same as I use to have I tried everything OTC that I could think of. It started off on my index finger and started small on the side of my nail closest to my thumb. It progressively got larger and eventually spread to my thumb on the inside of it near the nail also. It was a sorta hard dry spot and would sometimes appear flaky but would crack sometimes and it would go so deep that it would reach the healthy tissue underneath & make it bleed. I had to where bandages to keep them from hurting sometimes. Winter was worse. But I would take cuticle cutters and remover the dead part of the skin and it would still grow back the same. I also would file it down and then put different treatments on it including wart remover and NOTHING worked. They didn't flare up they were just there all of them time. But, on month last year my husband was sent to to work out of town & we went with him & the hotel had an indoor swimming pool. I went swimming everyday for at least 5 days in a row, swimming At least one hour everyday. I started to notice that my fingers were healing up. I'm sure I swam a little after that but not much. So, I believe that the high chlorine in the pool was clearing my fingers up. After suffering with this problem for over 2 years, I am finally free of this awfull thing on my fingers and I hav normal healthy looking fingers again. I just wanted to share this so maybe u can try it if ur condition sounds familiar.