Hello, I'm a 36 year old Mother of two and for a week now the skin on my fingers have been peeling off.
It first started with a slight numbness on the finger tips (realised that was due to the dead skin which was about to peel off), then one finger appeared to have a blister on the end (which did not have any fluid in it), then this arrear of skin started to peel off.
It has now happened to all of my fingers and thumbs (except my pinkies), and it is painless, the new exposed skin is a little tender at the beginning but toughens up pretty quickly, however it is very annoying and looks ugly. So far the best cream to use is Bepanthen, which contains urea, has anyone got any other idea's.
I've been avoiding water as my fingers seem to absorb it really quickly, after 2 minutes in water it is as if i've been soaking in water for an hour, which brings me to my next thing, could this be a result of some hand soaps. I started using a new liquid hand soap two days prior to this happening, i've stopped using it but noticed this had sodium (salt) in it, which sort of explains why my fingers absorb water so quickly, has anyone else noticed that they have this condition after using hand soap or cleaning products containing sodium (salt).

the same is happening to me. i recently had surgery on my arm and thought at first that the dry skin was due to reduced circulation in the hand due to post-surgical swelling. it soon began to peel. it starts off with white circles, then it peels. the new skin is tender at first, but within a few days it stops hurting. this has been going on for about a week and i'm afraid that it's not related to the surgery at all. i am now seeing dry circles on my other hand and am afraid that it will soon take as well.

the symptomatology is not at all similar to the suggested kawasaki disease.

i have been using cocoa butter, and amazingly enough it helps with the dryness for several hours.

has anyone else had this? how long do the symptoms usually last? are there any treatments?

I am 55 yrs old and began a horse farm two years ago. I worked hard with my hands and then wore gloves constantly. I thought that when my finger skin began peeling that it would quickly go away. Not.

There is numbness on the ends, cracks that hurt a lot and hand cream seems to make it worse. I am trying Tea Tree Oil at night and will relay results as they are determined.

I refuse to use any steroid related drugs so am not interested in going to a DR.

I do not have a cure yet and have read all posts related on this forum.
It is not Kawasaki's disease or other assorted suspected diseases.

My homeopathic friend recommended Fish Oil and Zinc Piccolinate, which I am planning to take consistently starting today.

I actually thought that the problems were due to hard work.

Now I think that it is the result of wearing the same gloves, some leather and some fabric, over and over again and not washing frequently enough.

The guitar pickers who have problems also use their fingertips constantly.
My homeopathic friend says our fingers should not break down!

Thanks to all who have posted. This is a pain in the butt problem as it restricts what you can do comfortably with your fingertips! You do everything with your fingertips!

My fingertip skin is over and over, dying off. It hardens, like a scar, is dead, numb, Im unable to feel anything, Its like a coating of super glue is on the finger, just the tip, or last phalangie containing the nail. My nails now will not grow, and break off at the shortest spot. This all started a year ago when while taking a shower, in floresent military barracks, My finger tips looked white, clear, translucent. But it was not until 4 or so months ago that this peeling, hardening and cycle began and it will not stop. After the thick dead shin comes off, its very tender, down thru the dermis, and to blood at times, then it all repeats about every 2 weeks. I cannot take showers but when I absolutely have too, as I getting my fingers wet, makes them look as if I have been dead in the river for weeks! Its insane. No new meds, soaps, creams, lotions etc. I wear gloves now even for windex. I wonder if its systemic or actually from last years use of clorox wipes at the office. Has anyone found a cause? As creams, oils and all are just a relief form, not a cause for a real cure.

my 12 year old daughter has dry peeling hands. she first had this when she was 6 years old, i took her in to the doctor and he prescribed Nystatin-a clear cream, this took it away. now she has it again, but it is worse and seems as if her hands are just raw. i am just going to take her back in and see what he tells me. i would really hope he would tell me if it is some type of condition, disease, or what. sllassus

Cycle I have had over the last year, everything happens within about a week.
1. fingers and thumbs feel itchy, numb, red, with very small bubble/bumps that come up.
2. swelling goes away, fingers and thumbs dry out (seem like they shrink) get scaly. Over all appearance looks like round dried patches of skin on sides of finger tips and thumbs.
3. fingers and thumbs turn white, skin gets real thick, peels off in chunks.
4. pain and bleeding, very tender. Cycle starts over

I have been to the doctor, steroid creams don't help. Fungal medicine doesn’t work. He doesn’t know what it is, or what is causing it. I play the mandolin, but have this problem on both hands (including my pick holding hand, which has no contact with strings).

Creams will help sooth the symptoms, but I would like to know the cause and of course, the cure!

Yes. My hands have been peeling since i was about 13. So about 15 years. It happens in a cycle. The skin bubbles on my fingers and hands. It does not hurt to peel this skin unless i go into areas where the skin is not peeling.

I have no idea why this happens and no one else seems to either. I have found that the best thing to do is to use some hand cream and try not to get them wet.

I would love to know what the solution is. I have recently moved to a very cold climate and it has become worse. It is not more humid though. Perhaps a coincidence?

It normally lasts a month and that is the end of it for a year.

Some of the symptoms described match mine. I know from experience I do not have Kawasaki disease.

My son had Kawasaki disease 4 years ago and althouth peeling hands is one of the symptoms there are at least 4 more - rash, swelling glands, conjunctivitis - if all happen together then see a doctor quick but this should only occur is boys. Disclaimer, I am not a doctor so if in any doubt see a GP.

The skin on my hands developed 'air bubbles' (dry blisters) then peeled. This lasted 2 weeks before I saw a GP. He suggested Aqueous cream (used for eczema) and it cleared up but as v greasy is not that practical for work. 2 weeks later it has started again. My hands seems to absorb water and the condition worsens.

I too thought it was due to a new hand soap or possibly contents of plasterboard/pollyfilla as have suffered 'burns' from an allergic reaction to cement.

Before it happened I had had a 24hr virus with high temperature and hands have been slightly clammy since.

Personally, although possibly triggered by virus, I believe it is overactive sweat glands. Recommendation is drink plenty of water provided you are able to freely urinate as soon as required.

I am 38 and this has never happened before. It may be stress related (bit of a catch 22 there) but at least it gets me out of the cooking and perhaps DIY!

I don't drink excessively and do not smoke.

Hope this helps.

it could be a type of eczema

usually at times, weather does go part of it as well or at times allergies
try keeping your hands moist and see what happens...if it doesn't work, i suggest going to a doctor

I have had this problem for over a year now. Out of the blue my right hand pointer finger will get a little bump some clear some red and right after; the skin will become hard. Then it will start to peel. There isn't any itching just sensitivity. I'm afraid that if I do too much or mess with it that it will split and bleed. I've recently been putting bandages on my finger so that the skin peeling off won't catch on anything.
I've tried all kinds of lotions and even antibacterial creams. I don't know what else to do. I also made an appointment with a dermatologist but this is week two of this cycle and the appointment isn't until next week. my luck it will be gone by the time it comes around.

Yeah, I'm having most of those symptoms in slighter form. This just started after I was wearing goalie gloves every day for a week. Now the tips of my pointer finger and thumb have raw skin, and even that skin is starting to have dead skin bubbles come up.

I'm thinking the possible causes could be due to:
-Too much glove wearing (very possible since this was mentioned before)
-Clammy hands (probably not, but was mentioned before)
-Riding my bike a lot (maybe)
-Dietary supplement pills i just started taking (probably not)
-My new job requiring me to type on the comp a lot (maybe)

Maybe there is a connection we all have so I'm trying to rack my brain to see why this may be happening.

Does anybody else have wet hands?? i mean not really sweaty hands, but just wet?

my hands have been doing this for the last five years or so, since i was about twelve. it starts with my left pinky and ring finger, then moves to my index finger, as well as my other hand. it almost bubbles, with little air blisters coming up to the top layer of the skin until it 'pops' and then starts to peel. sometimes its close to being itchy, like i can feel my skin peeling apart from the inner-outer layers, almost like there are air bubbles trapped, pulling it outwards.
the one thing that i've noticed about it is that it seems like my hands are dried out, but at the same time my hands often seem wet/sweaty/whatever you want to call it. my doctor told me to use Amlactin, which is some sort of moisturizing lotion, however it doesnt work because my skin gets very thin and tears easily when it happens so there isnt really much skin left to soak up the moisturizers.

it usually happens right around the time when it gets hot, so thats why im thinking maybe it has to do with hydration/saturation of the skin (with summer comes alot of swimming, at least for me)

myhands are peelingvery similar to the other people that have posted. ijust moved from maui to vegas and the last time this happened tome was when i was a teenager in the dry subburbs of los angeles so i think it definatly has to do with climate. my hands are either wet or dry and peeling i have tryed all kinds of hand creamx and lotions but its a temporary fix to a permanent problem (at least it seems).when i was a kid it would go away after a week or two but here in vegas it has been a month plus soif anyone knows a remedy please tell and if i find one i will do the same. aloha.

I have had this condition for over 2 years now, and it never ever goes away. There is a point, for less than a day, when the dead skin is almost peeled off, and the new skin isn't so tender and my fingers are almost normal. But then the cycle starts over again, with the fingers drying out, feeling thick and numb and look white-ish again. Then the skin cracks and peels off again. From reading all the posts, it looks like there is no cure for this that anyone has found, asside from a temopary cure using steroids. Which creams have worked the best to relieve the symptoms?

I've had a similar condition most of my life. I'm a 23 year old female who has lived in Kentucky my entire life. My fingers--and occasionally my toes as well, though that is not so common now--will peel. Occasionally enough peels off that it is painful, but this doesn't happen often. I have been tested for Kawasaki's disease, and

I've been wondering if it could be related to something with my immune system. My fingers haven't peeled in over a year, but they began to do it again last week. In the last two weeks, I've had a nasty upper respiratory virus, oral thrush, a vaginal yeast infection, and while I'm not sure, I think I may be working on strep throat. (I'm an adjunct professor, so I'm constantly exposed to germs, and I think things have just piled on one thing after another.) I know being so sick with the initial virus downed my immune system--hence the thrush and yeast infection. Could this all be connected?