Hi, my grandmother 66 years, has developed appendicitis following colonoscopy. Is it common side effect or is she very among rare patients who get it?

Hi, when my 69-yr-old father discovered appendicitis, he realized it has happened just after the colonoscopy. His doctor even confirmed that it happens sometimes in old people, that an diagnostic method induces a disease. Appendicitis is a rare complication of colonoscopy, and prompt recognition is needed to achieve right time treatment. Perhaps, a surgery will be needed but only in case that her heart can stand it. if she is diabetic or having atherosclerosis, it is also more complicated.

Hey there. I was reading about this and I was talking to my doctor about this and he told me that acute appendicitis after colonoscopy is actually an extremely rare thing that happens and it is a cause-effect of the connection between the colonoscopy and the appendicitis. If you got it that way or someone that you know, trust me you are in the really rare category. And I am sorry because you are one of them since I do know a lot of people who did a colonoscopy and they never had any side - effects, I don't want to mention something worse. 

take care! 

I'm a 51-year-old healthy female who lives an active, healthful lifestyle with lots of exercise and a healthful fiber-rich diet.

I had a colonoscopy about two weeks ago, and two days ago, I had to have an emergency appendectomy. I know that this can be a complication of the colonoscopy, but are there any precautions that my doctor could have taken to prevent this from happening? The surgeon who performed the appendectomy told me that he found a small stone in the appendix, as well as a small perforation. Does the colonoscopy normally examine the inside of the appendix, along with the main colon? Should these things have been found during the colonoscopy?

Thanks for your response,
MH

I also had a colonoscopy ( 75) very healthy also and had the same happen. 16 days after the colonoscopy I had to have my appendix removed - I was glad I went back to the Dr. with the stomach pain and they said I had an infected appendix. Wondering if this is more common and not reported
June 2013 SW have you received any answers???????

I'm 52, and had a colonoscopy on December 18. Less than two weeks later, I had to have an emergency appendectomy. In a quick google search, there are 113,000 results. I'm sure it's WAY more common than reported.

Me too. Same exact thing.

Hi... what symptoms did you get with this please?

I (52) had a colonoscopy a couple months ago and just had acute appendicitis. In the long run, the colonoscopy is still worth the risk. My surgery and recovery has been incredibly simple. Colon cancer would be far worse. You don’t need that old appendix hanging around in there anyway